Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Pencil Shavings: Le Labo Santal 33

By Tom

First off, a reminder that Le Labo is supporting Japanese disaster relief by releasing its Tokyo exclusive Gaiac 10 in all of Le Labo stores and online, with all profits going to the Japanese Red Cross.

There is also a new release in Le Labo land: Santal 33.

I admit I do have some issues with Le Labo. The whole mixed-fresh bit is sort of lost on me and the expiration dates I think are just silly. Then there's the maddening idea of the city exclusives, which means that their lovely Aldehyde 44 is in Dallas, where I am almost guaranteed never to set foot. Luckily, the one of that series I like best is the Los Angeles one.

Santal 33 starts out with another hallmark of Le Labo, in that it initially doesn't smell anything of its eponymous ingredient. Instead, I get leather. The Le Labo website has a lot of blather about cowboys and horses and prairie fires and whatnot, but I get more ladies handbag. In a good way mind you, if it's a saddle it's one from Hermes. There's smoke, but it's a Marlboro red, and I swear to god a bit of mint. The drydown is where the titled woods make their appearance and they're very nice. A bit like a pencil, but the nicest pencil you can imagine. Maybe a Hermes pencil to go in your Hermes agenda.

I guess that I'm saying is that it's a lot smoother and elegant than the rough-and-tumble description would lead you to believe. If you really want the hot cowboy and his campfire then I would go for Lonestar Memories. If you want a hot guy named Pierre in designer chaps, then go for this one. There's room in my life for both..

$50 for 1/2 ounces, $145 for 1.7 ounces and $220 for 3.4 ounces at Le Labo boutiques and at Barneys. My sample was from Barneys.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger womo531 said...

yes! pencils! I love the smell of pencils =) Currently wearing Santal 33 with Gaiac 10 over it.. and it's lovely~

12:53 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I wouldn't love the perfume, but I sure love your review! :)

3:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

The more I read, the more I know that this particular Le Labo isn't calling my name - or even my pencil sharpener. But thanks for confirming this!

11:06 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

womo531-

great idea!

11:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous bevfred said...

I agree! Not too impressed, Tauer is more interesting.
I also get nail polish remover.
Yuck

11:58 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Vanessa-

Glad to be of service!

11:58 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

olfactoria-

I liked it, but wasn't knocked silly by it.

11:58 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home