Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jardin du Poete by Eau d'Italie

By Marina

You probably know by now that if a fragrance compels me to cite Neruda, it is love. Well here we go:
"Green was the silence, wet was the light, the month of June trembled like a butterfly..."
Oh how well that describes the sumptuous, soulful, summery deliciousness of Bertrand Duchaufour's new scent for Eau d'Italie, Jardin du Poete. I usually like my green scents dry, sharp and coldly bitchy. This one is a departure for me; it is soft, juicy and quietly joyful, as if lit from within by a warm glow of happiness. It doesn't sparkle (sparkle is a four letter word), it delicately glimmers.

I love the pulpy lusciousness of the orange note in the top, it is so realistic and ripe that it makes me want to bite into it greedily. What I also love is that the note, however, is not overly sweet. The presence of more acerbic grapefruit and gently piquant pepper keeps the sweetness in balance. Basil is one of my favorite green notes (and favorite herbs); often it smells spicy, particularly when used in masculine perfumes, but here it has a tinge of fresh, slightly cool, woody sweetness. Immortelle plays into that woody verdancy, at the same time lending the scent more body, fleshing it out, making it more comfortingly solid.

Although this tender, indeed poetic composition does in fact, metaphorically speaking, "tremble like a butterfly", it wouldn't have been Douchafour's without a darker, drier, earthier base, thanks to cypress and vetiver.

All in all, a beautiful, harmonious celebration of summer, a fitting offering to Apollo. Available at LAFCO New York and sirenuse.it.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Katie Puckrik said...

Love this description, Marina. Now I want me some pulpy orange! Looking forward to trying this.

2:58 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love basil too. I get a very watery feel with Jardin. Do you?

3:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Ines said...

I'm sold!
I saw Olfactoria loved it and now your description - I need some straight away! :)

4:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Kristina said...

@olfactoriastravels.com: I get that watery feel, too, and I fear that will be a spoiler for me. What a shame, I was so looking forward to the scent and was sure that I would love it given the notes.

4:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

I love it when you quote Neruda. :) This sounds so pretty -- that both you and Birgit like it makes me definitely want to sample this one.

8:19 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Ngggg. WANT.

I am helpless when you quote Neruda.

(but here's hoping if there is wateriness it is not of the Fleur de Liane type...)

5:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie
Thank you! Am looking forward to reading our review.

5:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Birgit
I don't get watery as much as ...juicy or moist, I guess

5:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ines
I am glad we enabled! :)

5:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kristina
That's too bad

5:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Suzanne
I hope you do and share your opinion when you do

5:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa
To me it's not watery at all. It is moist. I don't know if that makes sense. FdL was watery indeed.

5:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Ooh, basil, one of my very favorite things in the world! I will have to test this one for summer.

12:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna
Test and report! :)

8:33 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home