Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dying A Little: Petite Mort™ by Marc Atlan

By Tom

One of the things about being a rather impecunious bachelor living in an expensive zip code is that one almost daily interacts with things that are sybaritically enticing but entirely out of reach, and may even know people who have them as a matter of course. I know people who have lovely homes filled with beautiful things, expensive and luxurious automobiles, or name-brand art. I can appreciate visiting this but really don't necessarily aspire to having it. I'm one person who loathes dusting my one-bedroom hovel in the fashionable "Industrial Triangle" section of Beverly Hills so much I only do it when forced. A whole house would require too much staff, I tell myself. A ride in an S-Class is cosseting, but then I think of parking it at Whole Foods amongst the kamikaze shopping carts and my little Civic seems a lot better suited. Looking at the wall-sized Lichtenstein at a friends house I appreciate but don't covet. Too much responsibility, and homeowners insurance payments. I tell myself that I don't want to be weighted down by expensive things and expensive upkeep. What I have is fine.

Then I come across something like Petite Mort™.

Petite Mort™ is the creation of four: Marc Atlan, who had worked with Helmut Lang, Tom Ford and Comme des Garçons (amongst others) was the engine of the project. Bertrand Duchaufour & Art et Perfume worked with him to create the actual scent. Verreries Pochet, one of the oldest luxury glassmakers in France executed the stunning bottle. Killian Hennessy was a "facilitator". Certainly those names promise a lot.

They deliver.

Petite Mort™ lists no notes, and I'm not going to try to dissect it. It is intensely animalic, but not in an overt way. It has a crystalline aspect to it that seems skin-like, but like someone else's, a nicer, more pampered skin. It smells sexy, but not of sex. Trying to discern notes actually does it a disservice; it's like trying to deconstruct a Manet to find out how he got the effect of the water lilies. I'm likely not good enough to guess all of it and I'm wasting all that time I could be spending just revelling it.

Petite Mort™ is $1000 for 10ML. Longtime readers of this blog know that I usually balk at pricey scents. Smelling this on me as I drove home from the event at ScentBar where I was allowed to sample it (and meet the handsome and charming Mr. Atlan) I said aloud "I'd consider selling a kidney to get some of this"

Available at petitemortperfumes.com and Luckyscent. Limited to 100 bottles, none of which will be coming to live with me.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Marlene said...

$1000 for a 10ml perfume.

I suddenly remembered I would like to retire without having to buget for catfood as a primary meal. That sort of puts this all in perspective.

10:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I realize what I'm about to say may be strong, and some may thing mean but I hope this fails big, I hope this guy loses the shirt on his back. This is nothing short of insane. Gold is right now selling for 1,468 for 100 oz!

I'm a little disappointed that Scent Bar would stoop to these levels.

11:34 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marlene-

That made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

11:48 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lang-

I can understand the sentiment and trust me if it sucked I'd tell you. But in this case it's obvious that every dime went into the juice.

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Ok. You might as well have stuck the hook in my mouth. I'm reeled in big time and if I am crazy enough to bite I will share;)

12:38 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Oh beth!

I'm sorry!

I almost wanted to hate it since it's so expensive and he's adamant that it's 100 bottles and then never again..

1:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Cerise said...

Lovely description — makes me immensely curious. I suppose sampling is prohibitive cost-wise as well...

The price and your desire for the scent remind me of my visit to the JAR salon at Bendel's in NYC and how unique, long-lasting, and intoxicating one of the perfumes was. We all know that wrist-to-nose gesture we repeat over and over till the magic is washed away. : )

2:47 PM EDT  
Blogger waftbyCarol said...

I can hear the creators talking in the palace at Versailles , where the brief was presented over squab and caviar...
" If they don't have the wherewithall to purchase this , well let them eat cake ! "
This has pushed the limit of sanity , srsly .

3:03 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

cerise-

I don't know that they even are sampling it. They had a small about of it to smell at the event at ScentBar.

You hit it on the head- the experience was exactly like JAR. I remember feeling like everything else at Bergdorfs including ones from Uncle Serge were left just a little wanting after trying those.

3:03 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Carol-

Normally I would agree with you. But in this case I just can't. I can't afford it, but I have to admit I was tempted.

3:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

The initial reports I read of this mentioned urea...do you think your infamous skank-eating skin tamped that note down? Because that sounded very unpleasant to me!

I think Patty said TPC was going to get a bottle.

4:23 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

I didn't get that at all. I smelled it on others at the gathering, and it wasn't there.

Yep. I read Patty is getting some. Good for her!

5:30 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tom, If the juice were made of gold, it would still be overpriced. I was at Scent Bar yesterday and tested it -- it's nice. It's not worth a mortgage payment. What I smell is a marketing ploy, "only 100 bottles" sooo exclusive. "$1,000 for 10ml," only the super rich can afford. A siren song that only the aspirational market will hear. Shame.

5:46 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lang-

I liked it. I'm not purchasing it, but If I had the scratch I would.

6:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

I am somehow more appalled at the pricing of Tom Ford's lavender thing than this one, but I must say, for a cool grand, they could have sprung for something other than a plain ol' unfinished wooden box to present it in, huh??

7:26 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

I don't get the box either.

Tom Ford was just a snooze on my skin.

8:30 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home