Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Lust by Gorilla Perfume at Lush


By Marina

I thought I was violently bored with jasmine...you know how you go through periods of craving one particular thing, in food, in perfume, in books and music even......and then one day you wake up feeling that you Don't Want Any of That Anymore Ever Again! That's what I thought happened with me and jasmine. Then in a random line up of samples, I smelled Lust, and...Ahh! Sparkly hearts and birds chirping! It was just so pretty...Misnamed, but so pretty.

I say, misnamed, because...well, for me, "lust" implies something more...heavy-lidded...darker, dirtier, a scent one is a little afraid to wear ...something so luscious, it is borderline obscene. And this sparkly concoction of jasmine, rose and ylang on a silky bed of vanilla and sandalwood is just too...pretty for that. If I could re-name it, it would have become Giddy. Because that's how it makes me feel.

I find it remarkable that the rose, of which I smell here quite a bit, does not bother me in the least (I share with Bulgakov's Pilate the tendency to get headaches at a mere whiff of rose oil), it enhances the giggly feminine pinkiness of jasmine without dominating the composition. Same applies to vanilla. It softens the mighty florals, turns their fierceness into cuddliness, but doesn't make the scent too sweet or too twee. Every note works to make the jasmine shine the sparkliest and the brighest.

This is a perfume for the time in your life when you are finding relevant and singing out loud lyrics like:

"You make me
Feel like
I'm living a Teenage Dream
The way you turn me on
I can't sleep
Let's runaway
And don't ever look back
Don't ever look back"


(Yes, I just quoted a Katy Perry song...)

A pretty perfume for giddy moments of being crazy in love. Available at lushusa.com, $32.95 for 1oz.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Katy Josephine said...

Lovely post - made me a bit giddy just reading it!

8:00 AM EST  
Blogger Karin said...

Hi Marina! Have you tried Kilian's Love and Tears? Curious how this compares. (And if you haven't tried it...I think you must...beautiful jasmine). :-)

8:11 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Josephine,
Glad you liked :)

8:37 AM EST  
Blogger KnitPicky199 said...

Oh it sounds absolutely perfect for me! I luv florals and I believe with your description Marina this is the one I must have! haha

8:37 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Karin,
Funny, was just reading about it, contemplating whether I should get a sample. Now I will :)

8:37 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Carole,
But do try it first if you can, unless you are super comfortable with jasmine. It is fairly Strong :)

8:38 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

Ah, and the next thing you know, you throw away all of your black clothes and dark nail polishes and switch entirely to pink! And then comes a picture of fluffy white kittens as your screen saver. And then....
This is coming from someone who sitting here testing BBW Cherry Blossom, which is very pink and giddy...

10:00 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Victoria,
Oh no, not the fluffy kittens! *dashes off to unearth vampy nail polishes*

10:08 AM EST  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

Okay, then! I'll have some of that!

10:25 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Amy,
and fairly inexpensive too...

10:27 AM EST  
Blogger Elisa said...

Interesting -- I like Lust too, though I think it is a little bit mean or rough. There's a sort of metallic note that does kind of make me think of someone on the prowl, showing their teeth. So I am OK with the name. :)

4:49 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Elisa,
I like how you describe it, "someone on the prowl, showing their teeth". :) Next time I wear Lust, I will be looking for that!

8:02 PM EST  
Anonymous Twinky said...

Sounds delightful, but not nearly as delightful as it is to read one of your reviews. It's so wonderful to hear your voice again, Columbina!

6:40 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Twinky,
Thank you, you are too kind!

7:25 AM EST  
Blogger Brian said...

amen to hearing Marina's voice again. I love this blog.

2:58 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Likewise, Brian! (And Abigail)

3:01 PM EST  
Anonymous eleven european mystics said...

oh, marina, your way with words, fragrance andd the human touch. the fragrance sounds...optimistic, a mood booster, an abrupt invitation to envision springtime.

5:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Fabiana,
you are as kind as ever. I hope all is well!

5:24 PM EST  
Anonymous fabiana said...

a lot of pain, fear, weakness, and no improvement in sight, but here i am, packing for a week in london, splitting my time between literature and fragrance.
I follow tom's writing with great respect and fun, and read the others with true sympathy, but it's great to have you back...yey!

8:55 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Fabiana,
I am very sorry to hear that, but there is a lot of strength in you, a lot! Wishing you a wonderful, inspiring, distracting week in London!

9:01 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home