Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pencil Pusher: Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

By Tom

This past Saturday ScentBar had a little gathering to try three new Amouage scents that will be out in August. I came, I smelled, I went to LAX to pick up the godchild. As I've reacted to all of this line so far, I like them- they're obviously made of quality ingredients. If the prices were about 30% less I'd most likely sing the praises. But $325 for 100ML of a lesser concentration makes me say "Tennis, anyone?"

I suppose if I was in a higher income bracket (or just was not cheap) I'd feel differently.

What was there that caught my fancy was the new Comme des Garçons, called Wonderwood. It's written of as "wood gone wild". I'm not sure that "wild" is the word for it, but it's certainly "all wood, all the time". It's guaiac, cedar, and sandalwood with just enough incense to put a toasted burn on it. It has a touch of Faber No. 2 to it, but then you wouldn't expect a Comme des Garçons to be delivered without a definite wink, would you? Luckily the peppery bergamot in the opening and the cashmeran and oud in the drydown make that wink a decidedly sly one.

Best part? $95 for 50ML and $125 for 100

At places that sell CdeG. I asked for a sample at ScentBar.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Tama said...

Oh, good, I've been waiting for a review of this. Pencil shavings? I'm there!

I have not really explored the Amouage line much - the price point is just too much and I'd rather just not know.

2:42 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

Really nice pencil shavings!

7:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous zeram1 said...

Pencil shavings? Please tell me that it's not another Gucci pour Homme?

12:09 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Should I be ashamed that I've never smelled knowingly Gucci Pour Homme?

Look. I'm a hundred and two; you kids are ahead of me..

1:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

I like some of the CdG scents very much, and this one sounds promising. It has to be better than Daphne...

Did someone say Amouage? I can't wait to try those! No, I can't afford them but I sure do love to sniff!

1:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

I'm partial to woods so a request for sample of the Wonderstuff will be on my next Lucky sample order, but I'm way more curious about the Amouage soon-to-be releases. Wood love for your to elaborate on those, Tom :-)

12:38 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

It certainly is better..

5:50 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

The Amouages were just nice. Citruses. I just wasn't that into them.

5:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Scott said...

This one is beautiful, I bought a bottle immediate. This is one of those curious fragrances where a dab or two from a sample vial smells quite different (initially) from a spray application. To me, the sample dab to the wrists brought out a very smooth aqueous sandalwood, very reminiscent of 10 Corso Como. The spray immediately brings out the pepper and cedar. This is very well blended -- to me it is never harsh in the way some people find the cedar in Hinoki: Scent One. The bottle is also a gorgeous iridescent gunmetal --almost black glass, and fit so beautifully in the hand. The vaporizer spray is very high quality, no leaks.

11:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Claudia0219 said...

Surprisingly...i loved this one right away, something very smooth about. All wood is correct, but also very well blended. CdG's can be difficult an sometimes really extreme scents on me. This one is wonderful. I think its a must have.

1:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Katy Josephine said...

This sounds like one I would love - thanks for the review!

12:16 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Scott-

It is lovely and is very different sprayed.

9:01 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Claudia-

CdeG can be a difficult house; this one I find extremely wearable

9:02 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Josephine-

thanks to you!

9:03 PM EDT  
Anonymous Delaney said...

Pencil shavings?

I always loved the smell and I would never think that the perfume connoisseurs would actually make a perfume with it! Impressed!

www.mybestperfume.com

9:36 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home