Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Water, water everywhere...Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea

By Tom

I adore the original Acqua di Parma. The subsequent ones in the line have been for me nice, but not great. But then, that's the problem when you're the second or third in a line sired by a classic. It's not very often that the child eclipses the parent. It's the case of Henry Fonda beget Peter Fonda who beget Bridget Fonda. I like Bridget, she's a fine actress. She's no Henry Fonda, however.

Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea is no Acqua di Parma.

Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea is a light aquatic that smells shockingly like clean water. Not in the usual way, it's not dryer sheets or anything like Cool Water. It's supplanted by jasmine, rose, lilac bergamot and ends with a very nice light woodiness, It's a handsome, well, balanced, perfectly pleasant little thing and I can't quite understand why I don't like it at all. I think that perhaps that it strikes me as a super-refined version of one of those nose-busting aquatics that young men with manscaped eyebrows wear far too much of.

There was a period in foodie-land in the late 90's when restauranteurs would have cunning little things on the menu like their version of a Manwich made with Kobe beef and heirloom tomatoes or a version of a Twinkie made with hand milled flour and hand made vanilla. All well and good, but you still were getting a Twinkie.

Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea is the best Twinkie you'll ever have.

Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea is available at Sephora and other department stores, 2oz for $68, 4 for $104. Mine was a gift sample with purchase from Bergdorfs.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
I just love the parallel with haute cuisine Twinkie! :-)

6:36 AM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

Tee hee! Adorable!

It sounds like exactly the kind of scent I always feel bad about not loving. I have discovered that my entire collection is controversial... I think I gravitate away from "perfectly pleasant, balanced little things."

I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season!

2:30 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ducks-

I'm pretty much the same way. If it it's not a little skewed in some way I'm not interested..

Happy Holidays to you as well!

2:43 PM EST  
Anonymous Flora said...

It does sound as though it was meant not to offend anyone, and ends up not really pleasing them either. I will try it if I see it though, at least it's not one of those industrial strength "aquatics."

3:47 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

A gourmet Twinkie! That is destined to be a classic analogy. I can already think of at least a dozen scents I will be slotting into that category. Thanks! :-)

4:14 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

It's actually better than that. It's just not something that I can really like.

If it came from say, Ralph Lauren I would think better of it. But it's Acqua di Parma..

5:38 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Elle-

I kind of liked the analogy myself..

5:38 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home