Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rae of Light: Parfums DelRae Début, Bois de Paradis and Mythique

By Tom

First, the winner of the draw for the smell bent samples is Queen Cupcake. Please use the "contact us" button to provide your mailing address.

Parfums DelRae is the brainchild of San Francisco-based DelRae Roth, who writes that her lifelong passion for fragrance was the impetus for her creation of her line.

Début is her idea of a "sophisticated lily of the valley fragrance". I love lily of the valley, but wasn't sure that there was a deep-seated need for another one, what with Diorissimo being out there. That is until I smelled this one. An absolute delight of sparkling green lily underscored with lime; Marina writes of it as being "ladylike" and it is. But not so girly that I wouldn't spritz a bit on myself; I can see it being a bit of holy grail spring on a drab winter day.

Bois de Paradis on me opens spicy, with clove and a touch of cinnamon. Before it starts making me hungry for pie it drops delicious blackberry touched by rose. Marina, like me loved the succulent blackberry note and the balance of spice, woods and fruit that lasts for hours.

Mythique is iris with a capital "I". Orris butter, mandarin, peony and jasmine conspire to make a heady mix. Marina wrote of it as "totally suited for a courtesan" and it is, just not the way you'd think. A true courtesan beguiles all the senses: she entertains the mind as well as the body. The leathered drydown of Mythique reflects that depth.

These are $135 for 50ML, at her website, where I bought the samples. Also at Luckyscent, Aedes and Barneys (not all of them at Barneys online)

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Hmm, I might need that Debut, I am a Muguet girl for sure. Pairing it with lime is my idea of perfect!


Mythique might be one I need to try, since I have yet to fall completely in love with an Iris perfume.

1:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Mals86 said...

Well, THAT settles it... must go snag that sample set I've been dithering over, ASAP.

I have, however, tested Bois de Paradis, since I'm a sucker for spice-woods-amber, and was disappointed - the opening was weirdly aromatic. I kept thinking, "What IS that? Mint? Turpentine? No, can't be... but it smells like mint! No, turpentine!" From there it went through a blueberry-pancakes-with-cinnamon stage straight into a very sweet amber. Sigh. I'm sure there are nuances there I'm just not getting, at least on my skin.

I'm looking forward to Mythique and Debut, in particular. As always, Tom, lovely reviews.

8:48 AM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Oooh... I love Debut, it is definitely an HG for me and it's on my list to buy an FB for spring.

I like Bois de Paradis but don't feel as if I have to have it and I need to test Mythique again because I wasn't that taken with it - but it could have been my mood at the time.

12:06 PM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Mals - definitely get the sample set - it's only $6.00 and they are generous samples!

12:07 PM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

I'm a big iris fan and recently added Mythique to my wardrobe. But now Debut is calling my name, and I'd sworn off making any more perfume purchases! Drats!
Must go hail a cab- a touch of Spring on this winter-hinting day would be most welcome!

1:17 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

d-

I think you would like Debut and it would love you back!

2:33 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

mals86-

The sample set is the bargain of the year- all 6 (nicely sized) for $6!

2:33 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cynthia-

Of these three Début is most definitely the fave

2:35 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

cynthia-

right? practically free!

2:35 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

marian-

It's raining and cold here (well, cold for LA) and I am very happy to have my touch of spring..

2:36 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore Debut! It's definitely a HG for me, particularly in the spring and summer. Now I wasn't wowed by Mythique; I found it too pale and transparent on my skin. Bois de Paradis I must retest. I tried it at the beginning of my perfume obsession and stupidly swapped it away. Don't you hate it when you do that?

Thank you for shedding some light on the Raes,
lovethescents

2:57 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

DelRae Roth - what a great name. To me it seems like it would be impossible not to have a strong character and sense of self w/ a name like that. And good facial bones. But I digress - just hadn't really thought about her name before since I've always focused more on the perfumers for this line (clearly, overly so). Amoureuse and BdP are permanently in my top 15 fave scents of all time. Definitely need to retry Mythique and Debut. Your description makes Debut sound essential for winter, which seems to be racing in early this year. Sob!

4:06 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lovethescents

I'm glad to read all the love for Début!

5:07 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I think it's a great one! Winters here only

5:09 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home