Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, October 02, 2009

Endless Summer: L'humaniste by Frapin

By Tom

Late September can be brutal in Los Angeles. The arrival of the Santa Anas can mean weeks of triple-digit temps, wildfires that make the air chunk-style, and humidity so low you can feel your skin drying like you're leaning too close to the coals of a barbeque. On days like that the idea of dousing myself with something like, say Spiriteuse Double Vanille commends itself to me about as much as a mink-lined trench coat. What to do? What to spritz?

L'humaniste would seem to be perfect: listed notes are bergamot, cardamom, bay berry, black pepper, juniper, nutmeg, thyme, peony, gin, oakmoss, and tonka bean. My first hit is of the gin, specifically gin and tonic. I'm not a big fan of them usually; I was served one on one of the same sort of brutally hot day we'd been having and I wanted to bathe in it. As the peony, pepper and finally oakmoss joined the party I wanted to bathe in this. It is, if possible more refreshing and far easier on the liver.

L'humaniste is $130 for 100ML, which is even a relative bargain in the world of niche perfumery. At LuckyScent

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Tom, this sound perfect! I love black pepper in perfume, and combined with all the rest of the notes which I also love, it's on my list to try next summer when I can't stand being in my own skin.

12:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Dusan said...

Hmmm, I should stop by the perfume shop that carries Frapin and give this one a whirl. I do like me some gin and tonic.
Thanks for the review, Tom!

6:34 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

How funny, poopsie ;-)
I was havin' some ole whisky sours yesterday w/ another perfumer who LOVES gin'n'T !

Come summer, this will sing to me, I think.
Sounds fantastic...

7:49 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Chaya, I'm ready to sit down with you any time. I'd be one of those who enjoys tending to "barchef" duties as much as sniffing my way around a flight of scents.

Tom, maybe you can install a wall dispenser and spritz at random?

Sigh. A c-note, now the gold standard of reason.

8:41 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

It's a perfect summer scent!

1:00 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Dusan-

I would love to hear how you find it!

1:01 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

chaya-

I loved the G&T that day!

1:01 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ScentSelf-

Sometimes I want underground tanks..

1:02 PM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Ooh... you have inspired me to pull out my sample and give it a whirl. It was pretty far down the "to try" list, but you just bumped it up to No. 1 - as soon as the 31 Rue Cambon wears off, that is.

8:51 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cynthia-

Thanks!

10:30 PM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I gave this a whirl today - at first, I thought that it was going to be too masculine for me (which rarely happens), but then I really liked the heart of it and the drydown was lovely. It didn't seem to last very long, but that could be because I dabbed it on and it's meant to be sprayed. I might have to grab a bottle of this - summer isn't quite done with us here in Texas.

2:44 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cynthia-

I think this one is a sprayer as well..

3:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous March said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds so good! And I feel your pain in that weather. Ugh.

9:23 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

Luckily it broke for this weekend. Ahhh, blessed 70's again...

11:33 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Gin and Tonics...Heat....Nothing sounds better except if a lovely huge lime was squeezed into the whole thing..actually about 3 huge limes! We are abit cold here in Ohio at the moment but I'm sure that I'd love to try this next July! Yummm!!!!

8:48 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

In the one I drank there were limes, and the ice cubes were made with lime juice and peel. Just delish..

Getting a little chilly here for G&T's , but that just means you break out the scotch!

12:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one was ok but I like the new lifethreads by La Prairie, and I like the singer that is promoting them, but take a look at the videos http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/08/13/la-prairie-life-threads-silver-gold-platinum-new-fragrances/#comment-112700

8:08 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops www.lifethreads.com

8:38 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home