Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Run Lola Run

By Tom

I was wandering around the Beverly Center Saturday sucking up air-conditioning (because that's how I roll) and my friend and I ducked into Bloomingdales to use the loo. There was quite the hubbub going on there about the release of the new Marc Jacobs, featuring Flamenco dancers (note to Marc, the presence of dancers is undercut by the fact that the music is courtesy an underage DJ with an older iBook. iTunes should not replace instruments), giant replicas of the bottles and women wearing makeup and outfits that would have been perhaps more at home, say, in pre-Giuliani Times Square at Midnight rather than under the cold harsh white light at Bloomingdales Beverly Center.

The first impression of Lola is of course of the bottle. I adored the bottle for Daisy, a little minimalist gem adorned with a squishy white plastic daisy, adding just the right dab of not-taking-itself-too-seriously silliness. Lola's looks more like something that would have been used in the original version of "The Women", with it's purple glass base and knurled gold cap topped with a frankly-fake rose just about the color of Franka Potente's hair in the 1998 German thriller I entitled this review with. It's a Carmen Miranda of a bottle, seemingly about four times larger than the amount of juice contained within would warrant.

The juice itself is far more discreet than the boisterous packaging would lead you to believe. On my skin I get a spiky-bright green apple opening with pear and pepper that becomes supplanted by powdery roses and a light skin musk. Like the movie, this scent has a couple of starts and stops, with the fruits popping back up a couple of times before the final drydown of sweet ambery musk and a light touch of floral.

I wouldn't wear it in a thousand years, mind you, anymore than I could get away with bright red hair: it's uber-girly (even a bit grrrrly), fun, flirty and for me, kind of forgettable. But I'm not exactly the target market. Plus, it's $80 for 100ML and is certainly a lot more interesting that about 90% of the other stuff that's come out so far this year. That bottle is so giggle-inducing cute I would consider getting a bottle just to look at it.

If you're interested, run, Lola run to Bloomingdales. As of today Bloomie's in Century City had only 6 bottles left.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

I am not a Daisy fan, but this sounds more promising - probably not my style either but you never know. LOVE the bottle, it looks like something from a science fiction movie's imagining of what will be on our dressing tables in the year 2525.

12:37 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D

I think you will find it pleasant. It's not the first thing I would see reaching for, but I can see where it could be a nice summer scent for you, perhaps on one of those days where you just don't feel like smelling challenging or flying your inner freak flag, But sort of ironic, like wearing gingham with emphaticly metaphoric quotation marks.

And the bottle- it's so freaking lovable. The only way it could be more over-the-top is if you could plug it in and read by the light of it.

1:20 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

You are so good. Carmen Miranda of a bottle! What a genius comparison!

9:04 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm in the minority, but I absolutely HATE the bottle. I get it (kitschy, etc) but think it's just incredibly ugly. I'm not a fan of Mr. Jacobs' fragrances, either, so money saved!

Liz

9:34 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Definitely a Carmen Miranda of a bottle. And Flamenco dancers? This is something I'd have associated more w/ Christian Lacroix than Marc Jacobs. Don't think I'm the target market for this scent, but I'll definitely be giving it a sniff at the mall.

9:44 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marina-

Thanks!

11:36 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Liz-

You certainly have to be in the mood for his packaging. I can't see how he could take the idea much further in future releases unless there are motorized moving parts however.

11:38 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I didn't think flamenco dancers when I smelled the juice, and my initial impression of the bottle was more along the lines of "feed me Seymour"

11:40 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disteza here--the flamenco dancers probably already had choregraphed routines to recorded music, which is why you heard that instead of live guitarists and cantaores (singers). Unfortunately, more people nowadays seem to want to play a video game about playing guitar than actuallly learning the thing itself, so it's hard to find competent musicians with whom one can mount a credible performance.

11:51 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Disteza-

I'm sure that's the case. I suppose that the iBook wielding DJ sort of goes with the uber-fake cap on the bottle.

I cannot think however that there is a shortage of musicians in SoCal..

1:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Mals86 said...

I still think that flower looks like it was crafted by talented preschoolers, out of Fruit Roll-ups. Ew. Haven't smelled the scent, though, although I thought Daisy was perfectly pleasant. (For some totally bizarre reason, it makes my husband amorous, which is why I have a mini bottle.)

Isn't Franka all sculpted and fierce? I love her.

9:47 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

It does look like fruit roll-ups! Epic!

11:06 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am impress about your comparison!

11:22 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home