Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Lostmarc'h L'Eau de L'Hermine

Those who, like me, shy away from full-on lavender scents, because of their sharpness, and those who, like me, are bored with citrus scents, because of their ubiquitousness, should, like me, find in L'Eau de L'Hermine a wonderfully wearable, soft lavender and an interesting take on citrus. I like it so much, I want to swim in it.

Floral sweetness of neroli and peony brings out a honeyed, fruity aspect in lavender. Gentle fluffiness of heliotrope softens the jagged edges of the note and tones down the prickly, nose-tingling freshness of grapefruit and bergamot. There is a certain sweet cleanness or clean sweetness about L'Eau de L'Hermine that I find very appealing. A certain effortless simplicity, which is in fact a sign of harmonious complexity.

This is summer in a bottle... the breeze carries the freshness of the sea, the herbal and honeyed aroma of lavender, the candied fragrance of orange blossom...It's a story of how, in the sun, in the face of the endless sea, things come into perspective, entanglements get disentangled and dilemmas come to a natural resolve, all on their own. A Summer Tale.

PS. According to Antoine Vuillermet, the creator of Lostmarc'h, "Hermine" in the name of the scent is there to signify Brittany's symbol and flag:

"One winter day our queen Anne de Bretagne was hunting the Hermine for its white fur, in front of a dirty pond, the Hermine stoped. Anne was so impressed by the animal's behavior, that she decided it could not be hunted anymore, and became the symbol of all the Breton: "rather dead than dirty", in France (as she married the king) later on the Hermine became the symbol of justice and purity."

Available at Beautyhabit and Lostmarch, $85.00 and €55.00 respectively, for 100ml.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Je pars pour de longs mois en laissant Margot...Hisse et ho, Santiano...D'y penser j'avais le coeur gros en doublant les feux de Saint-Malo".)

12:22 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

This reads so great: I feel so out of it I didn't know. When is it stateside?

12:51 AM EDT  
Anonymous Amy K said...

Sounds great! Their Din Dan is summer in a bottle for me, so I'd love to try another Lostmarc'h take on citrus (although lavender is usually a dealbreaker).

3:38 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I love that bottle! This definitely sounds like a happy beach scent. Must try! And thanks for the review, because, given the notes, I seriously doubt I'd have given this a second thought otherwise.

6:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, I've never fallen for a citrus scent, and lavender is very hard to love (sweetened lavender is definitely the way to go for me: Moment Supreme? pc02?) but I have added A Summer's Tale to my dvd rental list! Thanks ;-) - Emma

7:17 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anonymous,
J'aime les chansons de marins, mais j'adore Gaspard plus :-)

8:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
it is already here, at beautyhabit :-)

8:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Amy,
I should re-try Din Dan then, I can't remember it, for some reason.

8:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I wouldn't have thought I'd like it either, given the notes. This is all I want to wear right now.

8:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Emma,
You won't regret it. A little gem of a movie! :-)

8:35 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gaspard ou Romain? Ou Melvil? )

8:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Yes :-)

8:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

You need to hire yourself out, Marina...I do not like citrus and lavender is at best so-so for me, but I am now going to have to at least sample this. And I am not a bottle junkie by any means, but this one is too precious along with the story behind its' name. Thanks for another great review!

9:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tammy,
The bottle does look very appealing. I like the whiteness of it.

10:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

A perfect sigh of a scent for summer, I would love to try this. Normally I like my lavender solo, but with peony and the other lovelies in this stuff, it sounds like it really works!

1:15 PM EDT  
Anonymous Romain said...

It seems like that guy is everywhere nowadays :)

8:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous Romain said...

PS beautifully written as usual :)

8:59 PM EDT  
Anonymous Oudette said...

"...things come into perspective, entanglements get disentangled and dilemmas come to a natural resolve, all on their own. A Summer Tale."

I know what you mean, but I always thought Autumn would be more appropriate. There's something so sad about September- the end of summer and only the prospect of cold and gray months.

3:02 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
It really works. It's a gentle lavender though.

3:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Romain,
I doubt you have seen half the stuff he is in :-)

3:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Romain,
Merci :-)

3:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Oudette,
Love your nickname, you should keep it :-) I dislike autumn. The year starts for me on June 10th and ends on August 31st :-)

3:30 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home