Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Divine L’être Aimé Homme et Femme: Perfume Review

By Tom

What is it with Brittany these days? It seems like some of the most interesting houses are coming from there: Both Lostmarc'h and Divine come from the same town. What a lucky town...

Divine is of course the house responsible for the wonderful L'homme Sage, a delectable dry and spicy wood that came home with me the instant I smelled it. Now they have two new ones on our shores: L’être Aimé Homme (Beloved Man) and L’être Aimé Femme.

Homme starts out with some of the tartness of Yatagan's opening with some of the celery note in Mandarine Mandarin. It adds in a gorgeous Basil note. Rich vetiver and even richer woods add to the scent, which stays rather close to the skin. Luckyscent mentions something about "everlasting flower", which is an ingredient I have no idea about. so I don't know if that's one that I am smelling in the opening. I do know that were I not single this would present me with a real conundrum: this is exactly what I would like Trevor, my imaginary boyfriend to smell like, but I also don't know that I'd like to share...

Femme I find frankly to be a bit less interesting; what I think is the everlasting flower is there, tinged with citrus in the opening and white flowers and sandalwood in the drydown. It's not that it isn't pretty, it's very much so. It reminds me of a story a friend told me: back in the early 90's my friend was having dinner in NYC and in walked Richard Gere. All heads turned as he entered, but even he was eclipsed by the white-hot beauty and palpable magnetism of his wife Cindy Crawford. L’être Aimé Femme is lovely, but her date rather puts her in the shade

Available at LuckyScent, $125 for 50ML

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

CIndy Crawford could never ever eclipse Richard Gere in my heart ....Only one of the sexiest men in existance...I would have loved to have been in that restaurant:)
I think that I would love the Homme.....vetiver and wood scents tend to smell rather like autumn on me.
I loved your review so very much....and I am wondering about Trevor:)

12:59 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you'd put Trevor in the shade, hon.

I was underwhelmed by the Divine you know, but I'm suffering from scent cynicism again. Everlasting flower = immortelle I believe...

3:24 AM EST  
Blogger Koki said...

I think the Homme sounds much more interesting too. Will definitely have to check out this house.

As for Richard/Cindy, neither does anything for me. I've never "gotten" Cindy Crawford, though she seems like a very fine person. But then again I also don't "get" Brad Pitt, ditto.

My IL is named Rudolpho . . . my husband asks about him from time to time . . . .

9:32 AM EST  
Blogger Scott said...

Yes, everlasting flower is immortelle (helichrysium), and if you've smelled Dior's Eau Noir, then you've smelled the brown-sugar candy of immortelle. You can smell the same "brown" note, to a lesser degree in YSL's M7. Thanks, Tom, for the great review. I adore Divine's l'Homme de Coeur and can't wait to try this one.

9:47 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

Actually I stole Trevor from a college friend. I speak to him in Franch ;-)

11:38 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lee-

is that it? Oddly I get nothing immortelle in there. Homme is dry as a bone..

11:39 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Koki-

I never quite "got" Cindy as well. I definatley got Mr. Gere though...

11:40 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

scott-

it's also in one of my favorites, AG Sables. If it had been apparent in wither I think (hope) I would have recognised it. It wasn't to me at all. But since I liked Homme so much I didn't care.

what's with blogger today? I am getting the oddest word verifications! "popundie"? WTF?

11:43 AM EST  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

:)

12:52 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

I am a huge fan of several of the scents from Divine - and love their packaging. I need to spend more time w/ these two latest samples. The men's scent sounds irresistible. Oh, and I love the fact your IBF is named Trevor. :-) I'm sure there are horrible Trevors out in the world somewhere, but in my mind that name automatically conjures up an incredibly charming, funny, intelligent Brit who could easily be cast in a Merchant Ivory film.

8:29 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

He is!

8:50 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom - You had me at "Yatagan with Basil" - swoon!

(Oh, and Cindy Crawford is responsible for curing me of celebrity envy - in a post-divorce interview I read, she said she did not like animals and did not have any pets. I felt so sorry for her, and realized that no way would I ever want her life.)

12:08 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the name Divine kind of scares me away...
Maybe if it was named after Divine I'd be more interested. eau de Baltimore

1:39 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home