Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Perfume Review: Tom Ford White Patchouli

If you don't believe in skin chemistry, I invite you for an olfactory experiment. Come and smell Ford's new White Patchouli on my colleague (white flowers, mostly jasmine, coriander and a discrete hint of dry patchouli) and then on me (a whopping dose of sweet, ripe rose blended with chocolate-smelling patch...a Voleur de Roses smell-alike)... It smells best of all on a blotter, the flowers are quieter and the patchouli leads the composition from the start, where it is spiced by coriander, to the finish, where incense adds an extra layer of resinous richness to the blend.

White Patchouli is pretty, elegant and lush, and indeed "melds Bohemian influences [that would be the patchouli] with today's structured sophistication [that would be flowers]". Like most Ford's scents, it has a luxurious feel to it, in that it is fairly heady, long lasting and with a conspicuous sillage. I find it less striking and more obviously attaractive than the love-hate Black Orchid...for most people obvious attractiveness would be a plus, but hey, I am nothing if not jaded. But mainly I will not need White Patchouli, because, as I mentioned, it is Voleur's twin on my skin. I am not happy about that, since, as indifferent as I usually am to packaging, I adore the White Patchouli bottle.

White Patchouli is available at Bergdorf Goodman, $92.00-$138.00.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

This is why I used to always test scents on DH or neighbors. Skin chemistry differences are astounding. I would love to see some grad student do a broad and intensive study of this and write their thesis on it. On my skin WP goes the route it does on your colleague - flowers and coriander w/ only a touch of patch. I'd actually love to get a twin of VdR that would work on my skin. I've tried now for well over ten years to make that scent work on me and it still doesn't. W/ gritted teeth, I will keep on trying until it does. I swear those notes were *made* for me.

6:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
VdR sometimes gets too sweet on me, but this one is even sweeter.

6:58 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is definitely like VdR on me, too!

8:35 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White Patchouli was a dead ringer for cat food on my skin and I have two witnesses to prove it! I kid you not. It was so sad.
I love patchouli too. The way WP expresses itself on the skin is so varied. Definitely try before you buy.
RHM

9:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got laundry musk from this--yuck. The bottle is great, though!

Liz

10:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tested Narciso Rodriguez EdT on my skin last night, and what do you think it smelled like on me? Right, Voleur de Roses! With the slightly harsher edge, but there it was.
Veronica

10:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

Love the bottle too (Love Black Orchid's bottle as well). There's something to be said about the Tom Ford bottles, isn't there? I've been thinking about it lately.. While most modern scents in Edt and EdP lack the luxury feel of the past, these retain it. It is something I miss in modern bottles and I'm glad to find it in these..

10:56 AM EDT  
Blogger TrippleJN said...

Chemistry...it even changes by week or day on my own skin. Black Orchid VdF is one that seems to have taken a major shift on me.

The WP white bottle just begs to be touched. Unlike you, I am overly influenced by bottles, unfortunately. I'm well behaved, but a total closet ho for packaging.

Jenny

12:50 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

So with you on White Patch and skin chemistry! (which as we know doesn't actually exist according to the experts.)

Every time I walk by the display I am delighted -- it smells so wonderful in the air, on a strip, etc. On ME, however, it is vile -- too much coriander and not enough of anything else. :-( I think that bottle is gorgeous.

12:58 PM EDT  
Blogger melody said...

chocolate and rose? does it smell anything like 100% love? i recently tried that perfume and noticed strong hints of chocolate and rose in it as well. i've never tried VdR though! (bit of a beginner here, don't know a lot of the really famous perfumes.)

i like a bit of patchouli sometimes (as long as it's blended with other scents), so i still want to try this one. we'll have to see.

1:32 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lindsey
I am glad I am not alone :-)

9:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

RHM
Do you know, I never smelled cat food? I think I should now :-)

9:01 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Liz
Yikes, laundry musk! :-(

9:02 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Veronica
So it seems that on some skins it is very musky...interesting, what a chameleon of a scent.

9:02 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Divina
I absolutely agree. I love the lush feel of them.

9:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenny
Hating a bottle probably wouldn't prevent me from buying a scent I like. Liking a bottle wouldn't make me buy a scent I don't love though :-)

9:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March
So I think we all agree that the bottle is gorgeous, and the scent is...temperamental :-)

9:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Melody
It does not smell like 100% Love at all, on me.

9:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Hmmm, as much as I am against Tom Ford on principle, I think I need to try this one..... ;-)

4:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this perfume is the best of the best for ladies out there! I hear Nordstrom is selling out of this already. I love my Patchouli~

5:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous parfum said...

Yes, this perfume of Tom Ford is just great, but if you love this perfume with patchouli, I can also recommend to you Rem of Reminiscence it is also a perfume with patchouli I am sure you love it!

4:52 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home