Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Perfume Review: Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Le Pot Aux Roses

As far as I am concerned, there can't be too many faux/stylized vintage rose scents reminiscent of 1950s powders and lipsticks. In fact, there aren't enough of those. Therefore Le Pot Aux Roses by Stephanie Saint-Aignan has become a welcome addition of my retro-chic rose collection (which up until now included all of two scents).

Le Pot Aux Roses is softer, fresher and "younger" in feel than my other two favorites in the genre, Lipstick Rose and Drole de Rose. The scent starts with a subtle but very juicy green note, and this fresh undertone lingers throughout the development, "lifting" the sweet and powdery florals, making them appear touchingly fragile, not quite fully ripened. Whereas Lipsick Rose and Drole de Rose are very violet-heavy on me, in Le Pot Aux Roses, it is iris that plays the most prominent supporting role. It must be because of the presence of iris that the Saint-Aignan's creation makes me think, rather surprisingly, of Dior's Bois d'Argent. Imagine the latter even softer, even fluffier, with an addition of a delicate rose note, and most unambiguously feminine, and you have Le Pot Aux Roses. This is one of the most charming compositions I have come upon in a long while. If I were 19 again and getting married again, this is what I would have worn on my wedding day. I am not and I am not, but the giddy spring is in the air, and Le Pot Aux Roses is hitting just the right spot these days.

Le Pot Aux Roses is available at stephaniedesaintaignan.com and is expected at luckyscent in the near future.

The image is by Juan Gotti.

26 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

Hmmm- I'l be looking for this. Sounds yummy!

9:29 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
You should look not necessarily for this one, but there is a tobacco scent and all sorts of yumminess.

9:31 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

An extremely unusual planetary alignment must be happening tonight because I actually found my sample of this immediately - total shock. Now I'm just wondering how I so overlooked this one initially. I think I tried it as winter was setting in and it didn't seem to have enough substance at the time. However, at the start of spring it's striking me as being an incredibly comforting and beautiful scent - the iris note is what has won me over so completely. Definitely FB worthy.

9:57 PM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

A VERY unusual aligment. I just got a large sample of this in the mail today as an extra in a split! Quite lovely.

11:01 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

oooh, tobacco?

saving my pennies!

11:49 PM EST  
Blogger Shi said...

Colombina, I was just wondering what you thought (honestly!) of the new Chloe perfume. Thanks!
Annie

12:32 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard of this but it sounds as if I would like it - I love a good rose scent, and the iris too? Lovely!

1:31 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sent an invite this weekend to attend the launch of her new scents next week, which was nice, though I'm not really the 'I'll just pop across the channnel for the evening' type. Seems like she's launching four scents - lemon, jasmine and tuberose, immortelle and some oriental aquatic. Or it could be just one (?). My French isn't brilliant, and the copy's elusive...

3:05 AM EST  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Oooh.
Sounds diaphanously lovely.
Romantic.
Get me my smelling salts, and that vetiver-leaf fan, would you, darlin'?

7:09 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I want to be aligned too and smell this beauty. Must start hunting it down NOW.

8:15 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have to put this and Drole de Rose on my to sniff list, I admit I enjoy the opening of Lipstick Rose but somewhere in the dry down the powder turns harsh on me.

12:13 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely; this is going on my to-sniff list as well.

3:27 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, doesn't this one sound lovely. I just know I would love it because you said the magic word - Drole de Rose. And I know exactly what you mean when you mention giddy - this is how I feel with DdR, giddy, light, vibrant, and unburdened, like young adulthood. And that image - gorgeous.
Sabina

3:50 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
It is definitely FB worthy for me too, and I haven't thought that about any scent for a long while.

8:06 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Wow, that is spooky :-)

8:07 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

T,
I actually don't know the prices :-)

8:08 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Annie,
I am sorry, I haven't tried it yet :-(

8:08 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
It is lovely, and I think you would love it.

8:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
I am the just pop across the channel for the evening type. It is just that my bank account is quite indifferent to the fact :-)

8:10 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ida,
Exactly :-) Romantic and dainty.

8:10 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Silvia,
Clearly the stars and/or planets want us all to at least try this one.

8:11 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenavira,
This one is the least powdery of the three. On me, Drole is the most powdery. Lipstick Rose is the creamiest.

8:11 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Denise,
let us know what you think!

8:12 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sabina,
Well then you will love it, I am positive.

8:12 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does this compare with Rose de Siwa by MDCI?

1:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Combia, I agree with you, this is a beautiful fragrance. It was a great pleasure to discover it with Stephanie Saint-Aignan herself in the Grands Magasins du Printemps when her perfumes were introduced.
She seemed really liked this composition. She imagined perfectly on "a man with a suede jacket." "Pot aux roses" means french plot secret. You talk about "revealing the pot aux roses“.
Stephanie told me that the secret here is that there is no roses in the composition! A great exercise of style, a smart and beautiful composition. One of the most "attractive" over the past few years for my taste.
Donald

6:53 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home