Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dzing! went the strings of my heart

By Tom

Well, I was back in New York last week. Most of the time was visiting the Connecticut shore visiting my oldest and dearest friend at her parents rambling beach house, and wandering around visiting shops. What is surprising (well surprising to us city-snobs) is that there are so many shops that while smaller, rival any in the city. There was a cheese shop in New London that featured a heavenly Shropshire, ruddy with annato and beautifully veined, amongst other stand-outs. I honestly wasn't trying to puff myself up when I mentioned to the lady that owned the shop that she was rivalling my local cheese store in LA. Turns out she knows the owner, and gave me her card for when I visit the Beverly Hills Cheese Shop next! Six Degrees!

I only had one full day in New York, which I will have to remedy next time. I did a run through Saks, skipped Barneys completely, never got to Le Labo or CB I Hate Perfume (the latter two hurt) and of course you read about my trip to Bergdorfs and the Lutens news. I am of course of two minds on this: I want my Lutens all the time, but I don't know that there isn't a little bit of cachet in the chase. The bell jars are spectacular, and there is something like a secret handshake quality about them. Anyone can get those admittedly handsome 50ml bottles; for this American anyway there's a furtive thrill breaking out that precious bell jar and dabbing away.. But perhaps it's only the two Bois and only in the 50ml bottles.

As you know, Marina and I finally met face-to-face at the l'Artisan boutique. She is as charming as you would imagine, and as lovely, with crystalline blue eyes and cheekbones that Debbie Harry would envy. After a cappuccino in the park, overlooking those dreadful 5th Avenue in the 80's buildings that I could never live in (this the WASP version of kin ahora) and a nice chat that felt like we'd known each other for years, we went to the boutique.

I looked at the home scent thingy that they had come up with, and it works wonderfully and smells fantastic. I am sure that in certain parts of the upper East side, (not West) Palm Beach and one or two Arrondissements it will do fine. For the rest of the planet, let's just say that price-wise Glade Plug-in need not worry.

The boutique had some of the last of the small bottles of Dzing!, which I had neglected to either buy or review. After all this blather I will self-edit enough to write that on me its circus-showman opening is fairly fleeting; a burst of hay, leather, candy, animal and oddly, rose petals. It settles into a wonderful skin scent with a supremely elegant leather and a hint of vanilla and tea. Oddly for something that is meant to evoke the circus, for me it evokes one of a different kind: I think of the tea room at the old Bullocks Wilshire: expensive handbags, hot
milky tea and the vanilla scented scones. Arrangements of genteel roses and the glow of genteel ladies who have been spending the morning at fittings and are settling in for a tea and the first of at least two dainty little glasses of sherry.

As Marina has noted, Dzing! is not discontinued. Good thing!

Oh, and l'Artisan? Open in Melrose Place. You're in a cupboard at Barneys.

Image source, istockphoto.com.

20 Comments:

Blogger Gaia said...

I don't get much of a circus from Dzing!. It's all leather, all the time. And vanilla. And those candied peanuts they sell on the streets of New York. Well, maybe it is kind of circusy, but not in a lions and bears way. An urban circus, perhaps. Whatever is there, I adore it.

I'm also a bit torn about the Serge. I want want want to be able to just pop to Bergdorf and get them all, but where's the mystique then? Still, if you think rationally, it's not like everyone and their step-sister would actually do it. In theory, everyone can get a bottle of JAR the same way, but I have yet to smell Diamond Water on anyone else.

1:33 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

A rambling beach house? That sounds beyond perfect right now. And very cool that you got to spend time w/ Marina. :-)
Loved your original take on Dzing! Think I'll make that my morning scent.

6:27 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I, too, get only a brief circus and then lovely leather. So glad it sticking around. So jealous of you and M., getting to meet each other--but I will be able to accomplish half of this, soon!! I am ambivalent about the Serge business--and I am feeling deeply guilty about you. I WILL keep my promise, I just have been really buried under work. . .

9:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I get carnival, not circus, but I only went to the circus once and the carnival lots, leather and just enough sweetness and warmth in it. It's my most treasured scent, and I wish I had brought it with me! I want them to do that one in a candle. :)

glad you and Marina met! It's always so great to finally meet some who has become a treasured friend

9:48 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

In honor of your review, Dzing! will be my sent of the day. It will be interesting to see how it performs in cold weather as it's 40 degrees here in San Miguel, Mexico! Brrrrr.

9:56 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Gaia-

I know exactly what you mean. But if they are going to be $180 for a measly 50ml, then I think I will still do my little tango to get the real thing from France.

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

It made me really homesick.

It was nice to finally meet her, albeit briefly. She's a doll- you two should get together! you're practically neighbors!

11:50 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lily-

I love what I get out of it and was so pleased to be able to buy it from the source!

Don't even feel slightly guilty!

11:52 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I never went to the carnival when I was a kid. I was deprived. :-(

11:53 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

40 degrees? Yikes!

It was well over 90 here for the past few days and they are telling people that if you have to be outside to try not to breathe.

All those poor people that lost their homes...

11:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna spend time with you and Marina....


WAAAAAAAAH!

12:16 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

well, we can meet in NYC!

2:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some Dzing! Fascinating how different it is for everyone, too. My first time I got LEATHER. My association was soft, fine leather. I envisioned standing nude in the back of a cedar closet full of soft, black custom tailored buttery soft leathers. It was my first encounter with a leather scent, ever. Since then I've met & fallen for others, Cuir Ottoman, Cuir D'Arabie, Cuir Mauresque ... and I perceive Dzing! more as a hide & sandalwood scent. I smell more of the funky tang, and then I get sandalwood mixing in, finally drying down to a smooth ambery caramel with a whisper of wood.

And yes, $180 is just way too dear, but I will go by to sniff.

3:19 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I was lucky that I was able to indulge myself in the smaller sized bottle.

3:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hey, I forgot to ask! You're in LA ... is everything ok out your way? I'm guessing yes since you're posting but ... just checking. Hope you & yours are out of harm's way.

3:58 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

thanks for asking- the fires are for
the moment not near me at all. Luckily the temps and the Santa Ana's dropping.

5:38 PM EDT  
Blogger KevinS said...

Tom: love the reference to Bullocks Wilshire's old tea room...very true...Dzing! is smooth on me, not a horse, elephant or sweaty leotard to be smelled, Kevin

9:32 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

kevin

i mourn that tea room. I would have love to taken my godchild there. Her generation actually thirsts for places like that; they look back on it iwth wistful wonder. Who knew?

1:22 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Dzing won't play nicely with me- but I'm happy for all the folks it DOES play with...
No sour grapes here.

Tremendous regret that I was too pooped to meet with the beautiful Marina on Saturday...
I was in Sniffa shock.

Marinochka-
When we do meet-
I'll have to give you advance notice to tape your ribs up...
I intend to embrace you full-frontal, no -holds -barred !


[Great choices bt all, btw-
so varied.
That's what we like !]

Mwah !

8:10 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Chaya-

Now I wished I'd stayed and signed up for the sniffa- I'd have loved a big hug from you; but a warning, you might want tape too, our bony WASP hugs are brief but heartfelt- ask Marina, she might still be bruised!

I think that all of you East Coast ladies need to set a date where we can meet. Heck why be location specific, let's get everyone in on it! C'mon Karens, get the Pod Hotel involved! Virgin American! Serge Lutens at Bergdorfs! Virgin Atlantic! Someone! Ultimate Sniffa 2008!

12:56 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home