Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Weekend of Extreme Sniffing - The (Extremely Long) Report

Last weekend Ina of Aromascope came to visit, and the two of us hit New York. Hard. We sniffed our way from Midtown to Soho and back to Midtown. Despite what the image on the left, created by Mr Colombina, might imply (“their husbands’ credit cards”, as if!) we did not do that much monetary damage. Ina and I came to a sad conclusion that we became jaded. We sniffed it all and we know it all and there are just no surprises out there and nothing excites us anymore. It’s tragic really. The scents we liked and bought were the ones that we already knew and planned to buy anyway, whereas we hoped for something new to sweep us off our feet. Unfortunately that did not happen, but we had lots of fun anyway.

We started at Sephora on the 5th, simply because not much else was open. It might of course be that our hearts were still full of excitement and our noses completely fresh, but we were surprised at how many perfumes we liked. Ina suggested that I try Giorgio Armani Glam, and she was right, it is a lovely scent. I was underwhelmed by a rather pale-smelling Guerlain Angelique Lilas but liked Mandarine Basilic; the contrast of the herb and the fruits was very appealing. But the best part was the men’s section. I re-discovered the beautiful figs of Marc Jacobs for Men, the amazing, brooding incense of Gucci and loved the unexpected softness of Gucci II. I was also impressed by Fleurs du Mâle. It smelled so…feminine and lush. I haven’t bought anything there hoping to find great deals on these scents online... Mr Colombina’s collection is about to grow, whether he wants it to or not.

Our next stop was Saks, which sported an impressive array of scents and already had testers of some upcoming releases. I sprayed Acqua di Parma’s limited Edizione Riviera, which was refreshing and summery but not what I imagined or wanted. For some reason I hoped it would be softer and sweeter than the original, but it was even drier and quite sharp. There was also a tester of Prada Infusion d’Iris, which we both thought was very well done. It had an incensey, woody undertone, which we found appealing, but it was not really a “dark” or heavy scent at all. There was pleasant transparency in it, which was very elegant. We tried dozen other scents at the same time, so our impressions can't be too reliable, but our preliminary verdict was "thumbs up". The lady at the Chanel counter tried to get me excited about Chance Eau Fraîche. I did my best to look excited. Saks seems to still have a stock of Gardenia in small bottles, so if you are looking for one, try giving them a call. I also re-visited Joy and 24 Faubourg, both of which made me smell as if I had a couple hundred millions in the bank and a chihuahua in my Birkin bag. I promised myself that I will buy both…at an online discounter.

Wafting rich and powerful sillage we strolled on to Takashimaya. I’ve heard great things about its perfume section, but as far as I understand, it was transferred to a different floor and redesigned. I found it underwhelming, as it consisted of a wall and a quarter of shelves with not much of a selection. I finally tried Truly by Stephen Burlingham. It was pretty but not nearly unique enough for its price. The Fragonards, new and old, were as uninterested in smelling exciting on my skin as ever, as were Santa Maria Novellas and the three new 06130 scents. I did discover a new (for me) line, Detaille, and liked their Alizee, which smelled like a blend of luscious flowers (jasmine? ylang?) and soft woods. Ina fell in love with Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi. It smelled fabulous on her, fresh but also warm and piquant. I can’t believe she did not buy it. The best part of Takashimaya visit was…its café. Ina treated me to a pot of Tak’s legendary rose tea (which totally lived up to its reputation) and grilled gruyère sandwiches. Next time I am in Tak, I am skipping perfume and going straight for the food.

With our stomachs happy and our noses not so much, we crossed the street and went to Henry Bendel…where Etat Libre d’Orange perfumes stood lonely in all their deceptively elegant glory. I gathered my courage and tried Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow, which turned out to be an inoffensive and frankly boring lily of the valley scent. The new Teo Cabanel, Alahine, smelled rich and ambery. Ina thinks it smells along the lines of Ambre Sultan, and I agree. It is Ambre Sultania, as it seems distinctly feminine to me. I re-visited the Aftelier scents and loved Cepes & Tuberose, which was dark, earthy and velvety. It has to be noted that Bendels had quite some perfume books on display and available to buy, including The Emperor of Scent, The Secret of Scent and some beautiful “table-books” on perfume. We chatted to the lovely Caroline at the L’Artisan counter and off we went to…

Bergdorf Goodman. There Miss Guerlain, Ina, dragged me straight to the Guerlain corner. I made a mistake of spraying myself liberally with Chamade parfum. Despite its dazzling beauty, it turned out to be overwhelming in the heat. The oils were…inexplicable. Garden Sensuel had no smell at all, and Oud Sensuel smelled incredibly faint of nothing in particular. Given the price point, I am hard-pressed to understand the idea behind these oils and their purpose. Guerlain also had the newly reissued Pucci scent, Vivara, on display. Now, I have not, to my shame, smelled the original Vivara, but I can venture a guess that it was not a generic fruity-floral, like the new version. Surprisingly, the best new thing that we got to smell at Bergdorfs, was Estee Lauder’s new Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. It was very elegant, smooth, really not nearly as overwhelming as the title notes are capable of being. I would like to give it a good long try, but I do have a feeling that it is going to be love. The mysteriously-dark JAR section was empty, so we did not get to experience the magic ritual, and so, slightly depressed by the lack of anything truly exciting to smell, we made our way to…

Barneys. The first thing I smelled there was Bois 1920 Sultra Ylang, which smelled old-fashioned… and by old-fashioned I actually mean out-dated. I spotted Strange Invisible Perfumes and was going to spray Galatea, which I have been meaning to try for a while, but smelled the nozzle, thought of my sad experience with Chamade and the sadder one with Sultra Ylang and decided to postpone the testing of the heavy-smelling potion till autumn or even winter. At this point Ina and I were pretty much desperate To Buy Something. Luckily, the Frederic Malle section was right there in front of us and so we did buy something. I got Iris Poudre, which was actually the one scent that I knew I was going to buy in NYC, Ina got Vetiver Extraordinaire. The lovely gentleman loaded us with samples, including those of body creams. Une Fleur de Cassie in cream smells incredibly luscious. I must have it soon. We chatted to Laurence at the L’Artisan counter and looked in on Le Labo corner, where we were promptly asked whether we know about the line. Wondering whether we don’t look like we know Everything, we said that yes, of course we do. The sales people everywhere must be trained to be able to spot a perfumista and a blogger … by the crazy gleam in their eyes and by the I’ve Smelled It All expression on their faces (the way Jason at Guerlain counter is capable of doing, but about that later). I almost bought Ambrette 9 but decided to leave it for now.

Finally sporting shopping bags of our own, we headed to Caron “boutique”. “Boutique” is truly an over-statement of the century, as the beautiful fountains are tucked away in a corner of some sort of a spa or a salon. There were no sales people there who knew much or cared about the line (just a guy at the reception), and there certainly were no customers. What a shame.

On Madison Avenue, our first stop was L’Artisan boutique, where we chatted with the beautiful Celine (by the way, there must be a policy at L’Artisan, according to which only the good-looking people may be hired, as they all are very cute, including Laurence, and – hello!- Ina). With somewhat of a trepidation we braved the Tom Ford boutique. We heard about the butlers and the haughty attitude. The butler was there but the attitude was not. The gorgeous red-head girl in the perfume room could not be sweeter. I sighed over Velvet Gardenia, and off we went through the darkly-elegant interior, passing on our way a very handsome man who was trying on a white shirt and…where was I? Oh, right. Perfume!

Hermes was next. Compared to Ford’s boutique, the service was sadly lacking. We waited for what seemed like ages at their perfume counter for someone to come and tell us whether they have a tester of Kelly Caleche …only for a salesperson to appear for a second, tell us that of course they don’t have Kelly Caleche yet (you silly girls without Hermes bags!) and disappear. The humongous bottles of 24 Faubourg, Caleche, etc. were there; I don’t think I have seen bottles that big before.

Sonya Rykiel store had practically no scents at all, not even the classic one in the orange “t-shirt” bottle and certainly not Belle en Rykiel. At Bond No 9, where we hoped to get a sniff of the new fragrance made for Saks, we were told that the fragrance will be in fact only available at Saks, which, I suppose, makes sense. After that, exhausted and somewhat disappointed with the overall choice or lack thereof we returned home, where the perfect husband, Mr Colombina, lovingly prepared us dinner and wisely had drinks ready to raise our tired spirits.

On Sunday we descended upon SoHo. First, we found the newly-opened Space NK, which had a relaxing, minimalistic atmosphere and a lot of the same stuff that any Sephora has (which made us wonder whether the store would do well at all). They did have Stoned, Diptyque, and their own signature scents (which I forgot as soon as I smelled them). Agent Provocateur shelf featured a candle called Strip. I believe that there will be a fragrance of the same name coming soon. If it smells anything like the softly-floral, slightly-spicy candle, I am buying it.

Lafco’s dark interior was the night to the day of the creamy Space NK. They had lots of Villoresi scents (Ina loved Musk, which smelled of roses on her skin). I played for a while with the home essence kit, sniffing various aromas. The Santa Maria Novella section confirmed for me once and for all that a) SMN and I just don’t seem to “click”; b) their Tuberose is lovely but their Gardenia is not ; c) their Vaniglia is the best vanilla scent ever and the most wearable scent in the line; d) Nostalgia and to a lesser degree Peau d’Espagne are head and shoulders above the other –rather simplistic- scents in the collection. Lafco impressed me with the way it had samples of Eau d’Italie scents lying around in big baskets. We could not resist taking some, and I realized once again how much I like Paestum Rose. I will be back to buy it soon.

Le Labo boutique was as lab-like and industrial-looking as I imagined, only more so. We were again asked if we know about the line. To be fair, I imagine that a lot of people who wonder in from the street really do not know about the line and its peculiarities. We played with the Olfactionary, I again almost bought Ambrette 9 and off we went to have mimosas and salmon bisque at some French restaurant.

Fortified and not at all tipsy, we went to Aedes, which turned out to be one of the highlights of our weekend. Firstly, the interior is…I want to have a boudoir just like that. The lovely Karl spent a lot of time with us, patiently showing us pretty much everything they have in stock. He made us samples of the new 06130 scents and urged us to try them at leisure, saying that he was also underwhelmed at first but then came to adore them. I still have my doubts, but I will give them another try. I tried Goutal’s Neroli which smelled dainty and humble next to Lutens’ Fleurs d’Oranger. Karl let us apply some of the super-expensive Yu scent. I hate to report that I liked it a lot, especially in the beginning, when it reminded me of Nuit Napolitane from Mugler’s Coffret. I doused myself in Aoud Roses Petals and had a hard time choosing whether to buy that or A Maze. In the end A Maze won, but I still hurt at the thought of not having bought Petals. There are some exciting things coming to Aedes soon, but We Are Not At Liberty To Say.

We decided that unfortunately we just could not face a ride to Brooklyn to visit CB I Hate Perfume store and went back to 5th Ave., not expecting anything interesting to happen to us at the stores that we already visited yesterday. We were wrong. The perfume gods decided to reward us for all the sniffing. At the Malle section at Barneys, Luis was presiding. If you have not met Luis yet, you have to! He is full of little insider stories and is friendly and yes, handsome, and could sell snow to penguins. Luis told us about the inspiration behind L’Eau dHiver: apparently Jean-Claude Ellena wanted it to smell like a cloud…seemingly solid, but when you touch it…it’s not there...Editions de Parfums is expanding its presence in the US, and there are some exciting things about to happen soon, but We Are Not At Liberty To Say.

Our final stop was Bergdorf Goodman, where luckily Miss Guerlain, Ina, dragged me again to the Guerlain corner, and there we hit pay dirt. Jason was there and he immediately identified us as “perfume people”. He had small testers of the three scents coming to the boutique in autumn, including Cologne No 68 (which isn’t really a new scent per se, but it’s nice to have it sold here at last), Vetiver Pour Elle so beloved by many (which will join the Les Parisiennes line, and will cost $190 for a lovely bee bottle), and the really new scent- Spiritueuse Double Vanille. It smelled subtly-sweet, soft and fluffy, slightly boozy. It reminded me of something…I can’t put my finger on it. Jason generously made us samples out of his small bottle and I will review Vanille soon. Spiritueuse Double Vanille will be housed in a 75ml bottle that looks like the L’Art et la Matière bottles, but has a different label, and will cost $200. Quand Vient La Pluie is officially launching on the day of my birthday in August, but I have a feeling that, judging by the notes, I am not destined to love it. It will cost $2600 for a 9.5ml in a strange-looking bottle and $400 for a 9.5ml refill. The JAR corner was still empty and so we did not get to smell the cloths.

Hugging our purchases and digesting all the gossip, we decided that we will try to do it all again in October, when lots of new releases will be out and perhaps one of them will finally sweep us off our jaded feet.

Please visit Aromascope to read Ina's take on the weekend of extreme sniffing.

62 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I truly enjoyed your coverage! It's like I just lived through it all over again. *happy sigh*. I sure hope October will have more to offer, and that I can get away for a couple of days of perfume bliss with you. :)

11:30 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Well, I am going to have to wait to comment on the actual text because Safari on my ancient key lime iBook is cutting a lot of it off, but I have to comment on what little dishes you girls are! I am going to have to exfoliate fiercely before my next trip to NYC if I am going to be in the same zip code as either one of you and even then...

12:26 AM EDT  
Blogger carmencanada said...

Sounds like you both had a marvellous time, and I'm furiously curious about all you Are Not at Liberty to Say! I know about the blasé factor, that's been happening to me a lot too. But it's fun to be able to be blasé together, in the flesh, isn't it?

2:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Martin said...

Lovely write up of your event! When being presented with so many fragrance choices, one better than the other, I usually just go blanka nd stare hazely into the air in front of me.

The AP Strip candle sure is lovely btw, I've had it at home and would sure love if they released a fragrance smelling just like that.
I was also glad to read that Ina enjoyed Musk by Villoresi. It sure smells of roses, and of sandalwood, and of other very lovely and soothing things. It's the one fragrance I turn to when I want to calm down and spend time with no one else but myself.
And last, Vaniglia from SMN is something I have to try. So far I've only tried Nostalgia (which I own) and Vetiver (horse-kick-blow to-the-stomach vetiver) and haven't really cared to explore the line. Their tuberose sounds interesting if it caught your attention.

Thanks again for the inspiring report!

3:20 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are so lovely, and what fun! Like minds on a perfume-sniffing adventure must be an exquisite pleasure. I couldn't have done what you did. My nose conks out if I try three scents on it. It simply refuses to smell anymore! =:0

3:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooooooooo green with envy. you must have had an absolute blast plus you look tres chic, both of you. I'm sure quite some man heads turned when you walked past the streets in NYC ;-).
A Maze is a wonderful (albeit not cheap) decision :-)!
I have been in Florence last week and have done some sniffing myself, but *only* some of the IPdF line and literally all the export Lutens-es.

3:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

Welcome back, Marina :)
You guys must have been *exhausted* by the end of the weekend! Too bad for the SMNs...Did you try Garofano? It is one of my favorite carnations and I find it surprisingly long-lasting.

By the way, I wonder..Is it being jaded or just overwhelmed by the huge choice? Sometimes that happens to me when I am rush-rush-rushing to smell as much as possible in one day.

4:22 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, my idea of a couple of days in heaven and you both look lovely... thanks for your vivid and informative account ! I was particularly thrilled when you mentioned Alizee by Detaille; I got a sample in Italy but have never ever seen it reviewed anywhere, it's so fragile yet captivating.
P.S. Which of you had the fling with that very young and dishy Brad Pitt like in Thelma and Louise ?

6:41 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

A wonderful report! And you two look fabulous!!! I don't have much to add, except to admire your restraint! I went to Paris intending only to buy one thing--Lady Vengeance--but somehow I got carried away with the spirit of it all. . .I think I have seen the Strip candle as part of a set, the other one being called Tease (I'm PRETTY sure I didn't hallucinate that). Thanks so much fo the report!!!

6:59 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

PS We did get to smell the new Prada Iris (but only on a strip) at Givaudan. It was nice, but I wasn't blown away; too light for me, I think.

7:01 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

I'm dancing around, happily...

There's something so wonderful about having folks you like meet other folks you know and like [and now, I feel as if we've walked in each others' shoes !]
[I'll stop ranting now...I just think of you with Karl, and Jason, and CB, and....]

Haha !
Are we twins, or what ?
Velvet Gardenia ? Cepes ? You NEED TANGO, BTW.
NO, really.
NEED it.
Your jaded nosie will swoon in ecstasy, I poop thee not.

My bottle came yesterday, and it was SO good, I actually called Berkeley to thank Ms. Aftel
[ I HATE the telephone, on principle, so that should give you an idea!]...

Welcome home, pussycat.

Why don't you guys come to October Sniffa with the rest of us mortals ?
It's more fun than a barrel full of monkeys...
And we could snuggle, too.

7:01 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to be there for a snugglethon.

I've been doing the jaded thing but have Mitsouko parfum waiting at the PO for me (alongside Eau d'Hermes) and am about to order Nuit Noire in a spirit of gay abandon as I finish my miserable job tomorrow. Forever. Whooohoooooo!

In spite of the perfume boredom you encountered (scentnui?), I loved reading your report. What a couple of goyjus gals!

7:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
You can, you can, you can, just keep saying that and it will become so :-) Magical thinking.

8:48 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Oh stop! :-) I read on Ina's blog that you'd want to meet up at CB and the proceed to have drinks. That sounds like a plan I could get behind 110%:-)

8:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Denyse,
It IS fun to be blasé together. If I were on my own I'd probably just got depressed at some point right after the visit to Tak or Bendels.

8:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Shifts,
Musk was definitely love and Ina should have bought it! For some reason, I did not smell vetiver. Tuberose does have that sort of dusty drydown that many SMNs have, but it is definitely lovely otherwise.

8:53 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
Our noses knew they could not conk. We only had 2 days and we had to smell Everything :-)

8:53 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
And I am envious about Florence! Did you buy anything?

8:55 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Divina,
I have hard time with carnation scents, so I didn't even touch the bottle, but I should have!
I think the problem was that there was not much new stuff to sniff, nothing much to get overwhelmed by. Sounds funny considering that we are talking about NYC :-)

8:57 AM EDT  
Blogger rosarita said...

It all sounds like so much fun and thanks to you both for sharing! Glad you have your A.Maze At.Last :)

8:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Silvia,
Alizee is lovely. I with I made myself a sample of it right there.
As for Pitt...We Are Not At Liberty To Say :-DDDD

8:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
There is a Tease. I think it stood right next to strip in Space NK.
Go to Paris to buy just one bottle? Seriously! No way that could be possible. :-)

9:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
We sprayed ourselves quite liberally, and thought it was nice, but yes, perhaps sort of light.

9:01 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
I will do my best to go to the October Sniffa and will do my best to make Ina come :-)
I did try Tango, but somehow only remember the wonderful Cepes.

9:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
You just created a word that everybody will be using. Scentnui! Awesome!
Congratulations on your wonderful purchases and most importantly on NO Work Ever Again!!!

9:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anita,
At. Last. is right. I only waited like a year to buy something I love. Mr. C thinks it smells, um, mature. And he doesn't mean it as a compliment. Hrmph.

9:06 AM EDT  
Blogger donanicola said...

Loved reading both your reports thanks! Food for thought..... I suspect sniffing in a heatwave is very tiring but you both look beautiful and happy anyway! October sounds like a cunning plan to me what with the lovely autumn and winter fragrances coming into their own.

9:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lovely, and a passion shared becomes an xxxl passion! But technically, when you go off on a sniffari, how do you proceed? You start spraying your right arm, then left, from the hands to the elbows? Do you rest your noses by sniffing some coffee grains in between? Whenever I do such sniffing razzias I get rather stinky and confused about what I sprayed where and when...

9:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
Thank you!
I am so depressed by the mere idea of autumn and winter coming ...the possibility of another weekend like this makes it bearable.

9:27 AM EDT  
Blogger NewKidOnTheBlog said...

Marina,

I am glad you and Ina had a great weekend. You really deserved and needed it!

Now ... as for being a 'perfect' husband ...

I of course had a different KIND of weekend ... 48 hours of occupying our daughter - taking her (toy) shopping, to the movies and to the amusement park etc. whilst still finding time to cook (from a Jamie Oliver recipe by the way).

I had a great time in my own way - especially when our little girl was asked to volunteer as an assistant in a kid's magic show. It was precious.

Point is though ... If I get football tickets for the Eagles/Giants this fall, I expect to be given your blessing on going to the game!

I Love You!
Paul

PS: Next time, tell Ina she should bring her husband!

9:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Aliki,
We sprayed a lot of stuff on blotters, lots on skin too of course. After a while I washed everything off in a restroom at to start anew :-) We also nagged for samples where we thought we could get them. It might be a good idea to bring your own vials and make your own samples, but of course not any store would allow that :-)

9:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Mr. C,
OK then, you can go to your football. I did tell Ina to bring Mr Aromascope. And maybe you, me and T can go to a "carnival" again soon?
PS. Jamie-inspired dinner was delicious!

9:35 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, I bought Ambra del Nepal, Talco Delicato and Daim Blond. it would be a waste going there and return back home with no shopping bags, right ;)?
I would *so* go NYC-sniffing with you and Ina (too bad I live across the Atlantic *rolls eyes*). and imagine, our names would all end wonderfully with -INA. :-D

9:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
Wow, good for you, congrats!!
LOL about the names, yes we are all -inas :-))

9:49 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I will still be working (from the end of August) but for three days a week... and in a very different capacity...

Ok, off to the PO and the bookstore to reserve my Harry Potter (geek alert...)... Now, do you think we sholud be pronouncing scentnui 'sonwee' or 'scentwee'? I'm a bit worried about the idea of scent wee, personally... Miel de Bois, anyone? ;-)

9:51 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PBI - I'm sure that little Miss C. had a wonderful time ;-). I remember when I was small and my dad would babysit us with my sister- we always had a blast. we went candy- and toy- shopping plus we had him wrapped around our little fingers. when mum got back, she always told him not to be so permissive the next time LOL.

10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
Tom will respectfully disagree with you about Miel de Bois, being one of the two lucky people in the world on who the scent works :-)

10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
She sure has him wrapped around her little finger, daddy's girl that she is. They both had a blast that day :-)

10:01 AM EDT  
Blogger NewKidOnTheBlog said...

Marina,

In regards to your comment to Anita ...

Firstly,

1) I calls ‘em as I smells ‘em.

99% of the time I like/love whatever scent you are wearing.

But would you (or any of the other growing army of loyal Mr. C. readers) RESPECT me if I just said I liked everything you wear whether I did or didn’t?

And B) ….ISN’T that why there are so many blogs on perfumes and blog readers? Because you all have different opinions?

Yes I have just an amateur nose ... but that's because I'm trying to maintain my olympic eligibility.

If you’d prefer me to lie, just smell me … errrr ummm TELL me …

Love,
Paul

10:02 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Mr. C,
I do appreciate your objectivity and your blunt honesty, which makes your posts so appealing. In this case, however...I love the fragrance in question too much...so yes, just lie :-D You never know, you might grow to like it. Vee have vays to make you like it, Mr. Bond. ;-)

10:14 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful! Make sure you do CB first next time. It's a trek out there, but so worth it!

10:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
We definitely will. I am dying to visit his shop.

10:34 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

What a lovely shopping trip, and how little monetary damage! So glad you had fun, and can't wait to hear about the new Guerlain.

11:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, R! I've been mostly good shopping-wise :-)

11:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh..sounds like you had a lot of fun , you two..:)
On my recent trip to NYC, my perfume sojourns were more limited as I was with the DH- but he *was* very sweet and patient ( and I didnt want to push it).

I *did* get to 'smell the cloths' at JAR- it was empty but I decided to wait- and I thought it was totally worth it (though of course I didnt buy anything).Surprisingly, my rather scent-ambivalent husband fell in love with the line..I *must* admit that they smelt quite gorgeous on him..( i loved diamond water and bolt of lightning.. and golconda and shadow..oh well!)

I liked Aftelier's Shiso quite a bit too (Cepes didnt do too much on my skin- but by the then I had too many scents on my skin so it was hard to tell..:))

At the Caron boutique, Diane was there (she's quite knowledgable)..so I had a nice time!

And..I *did* get to Brooklyn to CB and it was like visiting a (small)scent museum- I enjoyed it!!

Phew! this *is* a looong comment

3:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
Your sniffa sounds wonderful. And all that was tried with your husband present? You are so lucky! Mine would have lost patience after first 2 minutes :-)

3:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes..he was there (difficult to believe, isn't it?..I felt guilty on more than 1 occasion)...I didnt do all that at once though..the sniffing expeditions(?) were heavily interspersed with museum visits,plays etc..( I promised that I would only sniff those that I can absolutely not find in LA..:))

3:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
Still, he is a treasure! :-)

3:19 PM EDT  
Blogger driftwood said...

That he is!..:)

3:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops..the previous comment was mine..

3:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, my brain is spinning. what a lot of sniffing you two accomplished! would love to have a perfume playmate to do the same. thanks for sharing your adventures! and enjoy your iris poudre - i love that one - it's a HG for me. - minette

4:40 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Minette,
Having a perfume-playmate is great. It is a shame that Ina lives so far away :-(

4:46 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word! You shame me for living in Manhattan & not having been to half these places. Sometimes I forget the riches I have at the tip of my nose. I will have to mine this entry for ideas & do a few jaunts uptown. Really the only uptown places I've been to for sniffage are Barney's & Bergdorf's (where the L'Artisan lady told me I was imagining things, there is no Jour De Fete). I've even missed a couple of stores in Soho. I vow to rectify this soon.

5:34 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Divalano,
What! :-) Please do visit at least Aedes, it is a fantastic place! Lafco is cool too.

5:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Qwendy said...

Hi Marina, thanks for your ability to recall and transmit all of your scentsory data on a sniffing trip to NY, I can never do that myself, I actually feel that I suffer from olafactory fatigue just landing in NY! It's great to be reminded of all of the scents I tried and didn't try recently in NY, and remember that the perfume part wasn't that exciting, but the company and the interaction was. You two really were separated at birth, isn't it great to know that? It's good

10:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

W,
Thank you and lovely to see you here! It's true, who cares about the choice of perfume to smell, the company was the best I could wish for!

10:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, what a shame that Diane wasn't at the Caron boutique (or niche, more like it) for your visit! She is truly lovely and very knowedgable, and when I last visited back in February, she guided me through the urn scents, and then gave me a tour of the spa while I decided between N'Aimez Que Moi and French Cancan. I chose the N'Aimez, which is now my holiest of Holy Grails, as French Cancan developed a weird chlorine-swimming-pool note on me.

I hope you will get to go back there someday and have a better experience! It is definitely worth it!

10:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Elizabeth,
She definitely wasn't there, unfortunately. I am sure our experience would have been very different if she was working.

10:58 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been to Aedes! My friend Midori was visiting, discovered it & dragged me in. Aedes is my perfume Mecca. It's the uptown places that I've mostly missed. Downtown, I think it's only Space NK that I've missed. And I've never dragged out to CB in Bklyn, either.

4:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
Oh, I see! I need to visit Cb too.

5:21 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Oh, what an incredibly fab time!!!!!! So glad you posted pics! And, if QVLP is released on your bday, who knows? It may be a sign from the cosmos that you are to return to the Guerlain fold. :-)

7:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I think that Cosmos is indulging in a bit of wishful thinking then :-)))

9:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home