Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Coming up: Lily of the Valley Week


Did Winter, letting fall in vain regret
A tear among the tender leaves of May,
Embalm the tribute, lest she might forget,
In this elect, imperishable way?

Or did the virgin Spring sweet vigil keep
In the white radiance of the midnight hour,
And whisper to the unwondering ear of Sleep
Some shy desire that turned into flower?

Lily of the Valley by Charles G. D. Roberts.

I am honoring the passing May with the lily of the valley week. The scientific name of lily of the valley is Convallaria majalis; majalis or maialis means “that which belongs to May”, and the flowers are sometimes called May Lily and May Bells. The lily of the valley is said to signify the return of happiness, and happiness is what I wish to all of us. Have a great next week, everybody!

The photo is by Sateenkaarivaras, from deviantart.com.

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Very surprised to see a poem by Charles "God-damned" Roberts, here, of all places - you sure do some digging in the archives! He was a native New Brunswick-er (my parents live in St. Andrews, N.B.) and he went to my alma mater, so I'm afraid I've rather overdosed on him, although this is one I'm not familiar with...

12:32 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina, I look forward to lily of the valley week. Are you going to include Jasmal, in which we both smell lily of the valley--and we are not crazy. :-)

2:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for this week! The Lily of the Valley is one of my favorite flowers and I sniff them wildly whenever they grow in my garden. Right now there are quite a few in bloom but the weather's so bad I'd rather not go outside, so what's better than having a substitute in a bottle?

3:45 AM EDT  
Blogger rosarita said...

I adore lily of the valley, in real life and in bottles. The poem is lovely, what a nice start to a spring Saturday, thanks!

6:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Erin,
I know all about being overdosed on Required Reading. Some of the greatest Russian poets I still can't read, because of that.

8:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
We are definitely not crazy. There is LOTV there and lily. But jasmine still is the most prominent note, so I am saving Jasmal review for a Jasmine Week :-) This is going to be a Very Floral Summer here. :-)

8:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

G,
I am looking forward to your comments and impressions.

8:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anita,
I am so glad you liked it!

8:57 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home