Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Where's The Beef?

Review by Tom

This time I am going to review a few of the leather scents that Colombina has forced me to buy. Well, that's my story.

Kolnisch Juchten

Upon reading this review, I knew I was pretty well a goner. My father wore this back in the day, but I remember it as being a lot less, well, raw than this. Imagine my surprise when Colombina reviewed the original and reinforced my memories. I do however really love the newer formulation: on me it opens with leather as sharp as a whipcrack, and a wonderful smoky, meaty accord that smells a little bit like the best black and blue steak au poivre you could ever eat: crusty, smoky outside and blood rare inside. Strangely, this take on "gourmand" works so well it's scary. Eventually the Tartar eating tartare opening starts to settle down into a beautiful creamy patchouli, ambered and slightly sweet, with the leather becoming far more civilised.

Knize Ten

Colombina's review reminded me how much I liked this one, so much so that I ordered a bottle right after reading it. I can only add to her description, this is leather, but rather more gentlemanly than KJ. I get leather and citrus on the opening, which goes through leather and sandlewood and finally dries down a sweetened leather that has a note that has a bit of Miel de Bois in it. Yes, that Miel de Bois- the one that scares everyone so. Well, it's cut with floral but I can still smell it, and it's wonderful.....

Lonestar Memories

Well, I can't really blame Colombina for this one, since I was hooked a few days before her review by the nice people at Luckyscent. I was amazed when doing research on Andy Tauer to learn that he's not American. This was the first scent of his that I'd tried, and it's so evocative of a dream of the southwest I was convinced that he must be from here. It's a brilliant, eminently wearable leather that has just enough birch tar and clary sage to make me think of bonfires on the plains (like I'd know, a screening of "Brokeback Mountain" is about as close as I'd ever get, even if the pardner had the dimples of the dude in the ad) on a chilly winter evening, while the drydown is grounded by vetiver, tonka and sandlewood that adds a bit of city-slicker sophistication. Smells the way you'd imagine Jett Rink from Edna Ferber's "Giant" would, and you want to.

And for those of you who want to know, yes I have layered all of them with CBnI Hate Perfume Musk. It makes KJ more Tartar, makes the English polo player in Knize Ten a little Lady Chatterly and spells out the "Brokeback" part of Lonestar. I actually rather like that, but your mileage may vary.

The first image is from steverolston.com, the second from princeofwales.gov.uk, the third from theleewordside.com.

20 Comments:

Blogger chayaruchama said...

Well, dear heart-
YOU"VE been having a good time, no ?

I heartily agree w/ your takes on these.
Lonestar, and Knize, are clearly the most easily accessible for timid leather neophytes, and most folk- but each has its own charm.

[I have no idea of your appearance, but I'd bet my drawers, I'd prefer you to Jake G. in a heartbeat...
I always prefer the real deal]

7:14 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, speaking as one who forced M to get at least some of these (not the Andy Tauer, obviously), I love them all--but my favorite is the new KJ (no gentleman, I). And I too have enjoyed layering them with CB Musk. One of my favorites layerings was an attempt to do Le Labo Patch (another birch tar scent) and the Musk. In the process, I ran out of my Patch (a situation that has now been remedied), so I threw in some Lonestar for good measure. When I entered the room, DH said, "What a great leather scent! I want to wear that, too!" (Unfortunately, I couldn't quite recreate it at the moment:)

7:27 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Giggling all the way through this... it comforts me to know that, out there on the left coast, my skank soulmate is running around in CB Musk and MKK on a regular basis.

I think I like the vintage KJ a bit better than the new, because it's such an odd scent, although the new is much stronger. The Knize -- what a great point about MdB! -- has a note of something herby I don't like. The Lonestar I adore (wonder how close our cowboy fantasies are...)

Lilyofbp has an excellent idea about layering CB and Lonestar with the Le Labo Patch, which I am going off to do right now...

7:45 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

PS I can't believe your dad wore KJ. Sigh. All the dads I knew wore Old Spice and Mennen Skin Bracer, or whatever it's called.

7:47 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just happy to stare at Jake from above, fake cowboy or no. I love the real deal, the feel real, and the make me reel as much as each other.

And out of these three, I only know K10 and LM, both of which I love (okay, I admire K10 more than love it, and only wear it once in a while). I'll have to check out the lofty heights of KJ at some point.

7:56 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

What brilliant reviews of these three stunning scents! But I haven't layered CB Musk w/ Knize 10 yet! How is it possible I've failed to that??? Must do so immediately. And absolutely have to try Judith's mix of Le Labo Patch, Lonestar and CB Musk.

8:08 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

"Tartar eating tartare"! Love that!!

8:36 AM EST  
Blogger Kelley said...

OK...so, where can one obtain the new KJ? Do I still have to call that crazy place in LA? I tried it last Spring (I think it was Spring) and the number didn't work. Suggestions?

10:23 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Chaya-

Timid leather neophytes? What does that say about us?

I was recently told by a cashier that I look like one of the Quaid brothers. I am devoutly hoping she didn't mean Randy..

11:23 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lily-

hmmm- I'll have to try the Le Labo Patch- I'm getting some for Christmas. Great idea!

11:24 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-


I am proud to be a skank soulmate. Co-incidentally, I am sitting in my office typing this wearing a touch MKK, hoping that it calms itself down before everone else arrives. (my deskanotron seems not to have had it's second cuppa yet...)

11:26 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

Dad did a lot of traveling for work, a lot of it Germany and Russia. He found the cologne there. He used to bring us all sorts of goodies from his business aquaintances there (he would bring them stuff from here that was hard to find- once three cases of fresh strawberries). We were the only family in our town who had Russian vodka and German sweets.

11:30 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Patty-

Did you try Le Labo Patchouli? It may be a leather you'd like..

11:31 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Well, no wonder you are an Honorary Mongolian/Russian then, Tom! :-D

11:40 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Leopoldo-

I've seen Jake in person at my local Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and he is just that gorgeous in person. He seemed like a nice person as well.

11:46 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Elle-

I think the real brilliance is Judith's layering!

11:46 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Kelly- I think that place is in SF. I got mine there and the man was very nice (Shuddering at the thought that he'll sell out....)

11:48 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Columbina-

We had a deep appreciation of Russia at our house. Also, one of the most dashing men in town was the Russian Language professor at the local womens college: every woman (ang quite a few men) had a huge crush on him.

Also, this was the mid-seventies with the fall-out of Baryshnikov defecting and Nadia Comaneci winning at the Olympics, and YSL's Ballet Russe collection. Our little corner of the world had a little pash for all things Russian for a while.

11:55 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh... perfumes and the grisly perversions of being a carnivore (complete with the olfactory waxing of a grilled haunch no less)... might we consider the shrill aldehydes of a quintuple bypass?... in regards to manliness (and a departure from james garner) i would consider creed's cuir de russie thee butch-limey "querelle" of birch and leather... a far superior "opera" compared to that syrup-toting dog and pony show based on a lone star drippy memory... mr tauer c'mon... stick to your night blooming jasmine... now that's exotic and of profound heart (bypass free)

1:47 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Someone got up on the wrong side of the campfire.

2:06 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home