Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, May 05, 2006

Perfume Review: Miriam Mirani Aqaba Spring

I am not a big fan of fruity-floral scents. There are however some exceptions and Aqaba Spring is one of them. This delectable, joyful fragrance managed to charm even my dark, spices-and-woods-loving heart, which rarely flutters with excitement at the smell of romantic flowers and delicious fruits. Created by Miriam Mirani as a follow up to Aqaba, Aqaba Spring is the credit to its creator’s talent in that it smells both remarkably alike the warm, rich and spicy Aqaba and dramatically different from it. Aqaba was an exotic land in the midst of hot, sultry summer, Aqaba Spring is the very same place but in an obviously gentler season.

This is undoubtedly a sweet scent; however that sweetness is not cloying, syrupy or jam-like. The beginning of Aqaba Spring conveys a pleasant image of fruits and berries (mandarins and blackcurrants) warmed by the sun. As the scent progresses, roses, peaches and apricots become more apparent and they are wonderful together, full of sunshine, of sparkle, of life. Cinnamon, which is evident throughout the development of Aqaba Spring, spicing up and enriching the blend, is especially prominent in the drydown, where it is blended with cloves and vanilla. The presence of spices amid the fruits and flowers is what makes Aqaba Spring so appealing to me and what causes it to stand out among the many insipid, uninteresting, life-less and depth-less fruity-florals.

Aqaba Spring is available at Mirani.com, $55.00-$125.00 depending on the size.

The image is from Mirani.com.

12 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
She did pull it off, right? Made it "lighter" but not less interesting as is so often the case.
I've yet to tey the 3 new Aqabas, are they nice?

9:48 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I like Aqaba Spring. Don't love it, but like it, and find it much more wearable than the original, which is just too heavy for me.

The new ones (Jewels of Aqaba) did nothing for me though.

11:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
When a name has "blu(e)" in it, I am usually 90% certain I will not like the scent. :-)

12:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I find aqaba to be a very attractive scent, but it is too heavy for me too.

12:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I don't get much tartness, but I would still highly recommend to try it. One of the Abinoams (can't remember which, perhaps Desejo) reminded me of it, however Aqaba Spring is much richer and distinctive.

1:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
That is my feeling about the orginal Aqaba too, very nice but not wearbale. This one however is much more easy to pull off. And it is such a "joyfull" scent somehow :-)

1:15 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

I dunno, you start typing in stuff about berries n' apricots and I want to vamoose.

I am weeping with frustration at still not being able to try your generous samples!

2:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Yep, this is fruity...but done in a very classy, well-blended way, so not scary.

I hope you feel better soon!!

2:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

Still need to try the Aquabas. Someone on MUA once said the original was a great scent for a diva.

12:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cait, it is indeed a diva scent! I adore the original and the Spring is good too. The original is deeply spicy yet NOT too sweet, a big plus for me in Oriental style fragrances. It's not for wallflowers, but it is wearable for those who dare.

The Spring is truly lovely and of course lighter, but it has the excellent quality of the entire line shining through. These are definitely not the half-hearted "fresh/light" versions of department store fragrances.

2:01 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
Just like Flora says, it is a dive scent. Some people find similarity with Coco in it, and I kind of agree with that too.

9:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Flora,
I completely agree, Spring does not lose anything even thought it is supposed to be a lighter version. It is a wonderful scent in its own right.

9:15 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home