Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Perfume Review: Burberry London by Burberry

Burberry London (not to be confused with Burberry, a 1997 Burberry classic) is a recent release meant to “capture and celebrate the city of London and its distinctive sense of style.” It was created by Dominque Ropion, the author of Carnal Flower, Une Fleur de Cassie, Euphoria and Alien, and the bold, sensuous Ropion’s touch is certainly apparent in Burberry London. Having said that, on the scale of 1 to 10 of originality, beauty and wearability, where Une Fleur de Cassie would be a perfect 10, Carnal Flower an 8,5 and Alien a 1, Burberry London is a 2, no more.

Burberry London starts deceptively soft and delicate, with a lovely accord of clementines and roses. The pairing of sweet citrus fruits and dew-sprkinled roses is truly delightful, airy and candied at the same time. And then, as far as I am concerned, things start going wrong. A very heady, very sweet tiare appears, overwhelming all other notes and completely taking over the composition. I don’t quite understand why tiare is included in a scent meant to represent London, but that is not really an issue. The issue is the unattractiveness, the aggressiveness of that heavy floral note. After the advent of tiare, all other ingredients become practically imperceptible. Forget the pretty clementine-rose accord, forget the promised peony; even jasmine, not a shy flower by any stretch of imagination, did not stand a chance against the incredible strength of tiare. Sandalwood and patchouli of the drydown? Forget them too. Tiare ruled supreme. Burberry London was heavy, basically linear and quite unappealing if not to say unpleasant. As it is so often the case with scents we do not enjoy, its lasting power was superb.

Burberry London is available at Imagination Perfumery, $34.99-$63.99.

15 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

V,
Oh, I adore Une Fleur de Cassie. The synthetic feel of the floral notes in BL- definitely. To me that quality always manifests itself in the fact that I don't just smell a scent, but can actually "taste" it my mouth. Ugh.

10:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

I didn't notice the tiare myself. I wanted to like this for some reason but didn't. I think the fabric covered bottle is the best part of the fragrance. That and the clementine rose combo, which is too fleeting.

11:24 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Tried this so briefly that I hardly remember what it smelled like -- would certainly agree with V that it was predictable. It will get a second airing eventually, LOL...

12:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
Why is my skin chemistry so unlucky? Arrgh. Why do I get tiare, which is the note I don't like. How typical :-) Love the fabric on the bottle.

1:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Predictable, heady...and I wanted to like it just for the bottle :-)

1:50 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

"As it is so often the case with scents we do not enjoy, its lasting power was superb." Hee hee hee.

Like R, I really only gave it a fleeting shot, and can't even draw up a vague remembrance of it... I don't know, doesn't sound like perhaps I need to revist now. Of course, I sniffed it only on paper, so perhaps my impression would be better from the skin?

8:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
You never know, it might be wonderful on your skin. Althouhg the fact that you don't remember it is not a good sign :-)

10:32 PM EDT  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

I really hated this one. I prefer the "old" London from Burberry.

3:12 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
Me too!

3:14 PM EDT  
Blogger C. Del Sur said...

Funny thing. I bought this cuz i really liked it!. But now 2 weeks into it, I feel that the alcohol might be a bit much. I am so used to gorgeous Middle Eastern Perfume oils. I wanted to like this bc It woudl be great to have a perfume that i Can actually have ACCESS to; as opposed as, a perfume only available int eh MIddle East (I live in Toronto). This Perfume Does last...but it might be too sweet for my taste now.:(

8:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying Burberry London so I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews. I guess it just works well on my skin...

8:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like Burberry London. I find it soft, suitable for any time use, and it lasts.The first time I smeled it, the sales associate sprayed it onto paper, and I didn't care for it. About a week later I tried it on my skin it and it was totally different. Now I wear this perfume frequently, and I get many compliments on it.

1:04 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this perfume, and I fully disagree. The scent is very complex on my skin, and I'm confused about how you missed the Jasmine notes in it. It finishes out well with musk and patchouli -- in fact, that's about all that remains even after I shower the next day. I'd invite anyone to give this perfume a second look. As with all scents, my rule of thumb is to wear it for a week prior to purchasing. I tend to find that many of them are very different on than they are off.

5:26 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great article however I've always been a huge fan of Burberry Touch myself.

8:43 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

though i m not perfume freak but this fragrance give me happiness whenever i spray or smell it even after hours ...surprisingly its not tht long lasting for me and its not heady at all.

8:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home