Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Perfume Review: L’Artisan Ananas Fizz

Lately I have been having a strange craving for pineapples, pineapple-scented bath and body items and fragrances with pineapple notes. The scent I am longing for has to be sweet but not syrupy-sweet, effervescent but not too bubbly, tropical and exotic but without being reminiscent of pina colada…Fussy, moi? Ananas Fizz by L’Artisan does fulfill most of these requirements, its sweetness is moderate, its sparkly quality is certainly present but is restrained enough not to give the wearer the hiccups, and, despite the presence of both rum and cocoa milk among the notes, there is barely a hint of an umbrella drink in the summery freshness of Ananas Fizz.

The problem? It does not really smell of pineapples. The pineapple is there, I know it, I can almost smell it …and then it is gone. It is a teaser of a note. Now you smell it, now you don’t…And really, for the most part, you don’t. On my skin, Ananas Fizz is all about lovely citruses, bitter oranges in particular. Thanks to the presence of cedar, the potential sweetness of the citrus fruits is kept in check. There is not enough cedar here to actually call the scent woody, but Ananas Fizz does have a certain dry quality, especially at the later stages, which I find really enjoyable.

As a citrus scent, Ananas Fizz is fabulous. As a pineapple scent…well, it really is not a pineapple scent. I am not complaining however. This is an uplifting, "thirst-quenching" fragrance that, due to its lack of sweetness, is wonderful in summer, and I really like it.

As an aside note, the only product that comes very close to fulfilling my criteria for a perfect pineapple scent is Les Plaisirs Nature Pineapple Shower Gel by Yves Rocher. It smells sweet, a little tart and tropical, but most importantly it actually smells like a real, fresh, juicy pineapple. I would also highly recommend other Les Plaisir Nature shower gels, especially Peach and Pear; the fragrances of these gels are very true to those of the fruits they are meant to represent.

Ananas Fizz can be found at Luckyscent, $75.00 for 50ml. Pineapple Shower Gel is available at Yvesrocherusa.com, $5.50 (right now, actually $3.00) for 13.5oz.

*The images are from Luckyscent.com and Yvesrocherusa.com.

21 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I thought of you when I was doing this post, because I remember you said you liked AF. :-)

10:53 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Attention, space aliens: we are on to you. Give us back Marina. Your choice of a fruity-sweet fragrance that she would never wear, even on your planet, tips us off. "I have been craving pineapple notes..." As if.

;-)

Actually, this is one of the few that I wanted sooooo much to love, and it is very pina colada on me. Too creamy? I want a sharper scent, I guess.

7:55 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Bwah ha ha!!

*sings* "I'm an alien, I'm a little alien..."

Well, actually, doesn't your skin usually eat up the sweetness. I would have thought that if AF was not sweet on me, it certainly won't be sweet on you. So...March? Is that really you? :-D Rught back at you, heh.

8:28 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Never have tried a pineapple fragrance, probably never will. I hang out with the REAL Marina:)

In further Le Labo news: really like Rose; they are killing me!

8:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Oh C-
I love "THE FIZZ" as my 8 year old cousin calls it. She stayed with me for a while last summer and she wanted to wear "The Fizz" every day. It smelled perfect on her...just a bit was lovely.
Now I am lemming the body cream for this summer!

Great post girl!

8:48 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
but this does not smell of pineapples! It's just a nice citrus scent! I am the real Marina...I think :-)

I started to like Rose 31 too. I don't understand how come I hated it so much when I tried it first...weird.

8:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I saw that "The Fizz" body cream a while ago on lusciouscargo and has been lemming it ever since. It *will* be mine this summer. :-)

9:01 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Wait -- you started to like the Rose??!?! Tell me more. That Le Labo stuff is so interesting. P sent me the Ciste (which I keep calling Cyst) which I didn't like so keep re-trying. The Vetiver is so compelling, and it doesn't even smell good on me. I'm posting on it tomorrow, I think.

9:05 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Still. . . I seem to be having a problem with citrus lately. I think my skin has changed, b/c I used to love Hadrien, but I tried it recently at BG, and even the SA wrinkled her nose: smelled like Lemon Pledge. She suggested I try Nuits d' Hadrien--nose-wrinkle again, and comment: "Boy, your skin really does bring out the lemon in this." So I would guess that AF is a no-go for me. Will give it a try at Barney's though, just to see what happens. . .

9:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I am totally digging the Rose now. :-O I can't wait for your post on Doctah :-)

9:16 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Yikes. I would be heartbroken if that happend to me and my beloved Hadrien. :-(

9:17 AM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

I want to own the pineapple bottle. I tried MPG Bahiana yesterday. Is this one a better pineapple than that?

11:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait
(Doing Bahiana tomorrow :-))

It's not really more pinapply, perhaos even less pinapply on me than Fizz. But it is lovely.

I want the pinapple bottle too. And the carrot bottle. And the fig one. And the blackberry one. Greedy me.

11:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Ananas Fizz just says "summer" to me. I love it. I once had the large pineapple bottle, but swapped it away and now just keep a small spray bottle of it around. I've heard raves about the body cream too.

12:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

C,
Did you regret swapping it? Of course it isn't about a bottle realy, it's all about the scent.
I need to try that body cream ASAP!

12:39 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

One of the better summer L'Artisans, to my mind, and wish they had retained the pineapple bottle when it joined the regular range. Have to say that I was surprised that I liked anything with pineapple, and sure I wouldn't have liked AF if they had added any more.

1:15 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
It's a shame that the fun LE bottle is gone :-(
How do you like Bahiana by MPG?

2:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
It is sometimes too sugary on you? Hmm. March complains that it is too creamy on her. I wonder if I would have liked it even more if it was sugary and creamy on me. Come to think of it, I probably would have started complaining that it is too pina-colada-like. :-)

2:02 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Oh, I see. Gosh, I am so slow today :-) I agree, AF's non-sweetness and sometime-sharpness is great in summer!

3:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I actually don't regret swapping the pineapple bottle, surprisingly. It was very difficult to manage. For a fragrance that is light enough to be spritzed with abandon, it was quite difficult to do it with the big clunky square bottle! I'm just as happy with my small spray, which is much easier on the hands and fingers (though not on the eyes, sadly). :-)

12:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Carolyna,
:-)
I know what you mean about clunky bottles. I have a 8-point-something ounce bottle of Dior Cologne Blanche and it is almost impossible to use. I had to decant into a smaller bottle.

12:19 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home