Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, March 17, 2006

S-ex by S-Perfume

S-ex was created for S-Perfume by Christophe Laudamiel, the author of Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude, Ralph Lauren Polo Blue and Clinique Happy Heart. When I first smelled S-ex, I could not quite understand why this particular fragrance was chosen to bear this particular name. If a fragrance like Muscs Koublai Khan was called S-ex, the connection would have been immediately obvious. That would have been the scent of urgent, hungry, animal-like fornication. If a perfume like Musc Ravageur was named S-ex, it would have been easily understandable too. That would have been the scent of beautiful passion, of candle-lit love-making on silk sheets. But when presented with a perfume like S-Perfume’s S-ex, one has to stop and ponder. Which is true for most if not all S-Perfume scents; they are conceptual fragrances, to understand them one has to read between the lines, or rather between the notes.

The first note on the scene is the easiest to figure out. Leather. Dry, austere leather of repressed desires and/or kinky fantasies. Combine that with a little bit of musk and you have a s-exy scent indeed. But that is not where the story ends. S-ex has a twist. Just when one thinks one has got it all figured out, an unexpected marine accord comes into play, an incredibly salty note that seems to be so out of place in this understatedly sensual blend…It eclipses the leather and the musk, it grows more and more salty, leaving me feeling almost physically parched. I feel like a survivor of a shipwreck, lying on the sand of an unknown land, soaked in salty ocean water…And suddenly it all becomes very clear to me. S-ex is not a scent evocative of the act itself. It is an olfactory equivalent of the aftermath. It tells the story of never being quite fulfilled and fully sated. Seconds after having experienced a seemingly perfect satisfaction of one’s desire, one is already dis-satisfied, empty and longing for more.

Says Marichiko a.k.a. Kenneth Rexroth:


Making love with you
Is like drinking sea water.
The more I drink
The thirstier I become,
Until nothing can slake my thirst
But to drink the entire sea.


This striking, unusual and surprisingly wearable fragrance is available at S-Perfume, $67.00 for 2oz.

*The image is from S-perfume.com.

11 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I am glad you like it and that you are laughing. Would you believe I was lying awake at night thinking about this post and stressing that I might have used too strong a word...like fornication :-) I need to lighten up.

9:02 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, Christina! :-) I am a little concerned though that after yesterday's devilish post and today's s-exy one, this blog will be coming up in some weird google searches. LOL

9:11 AM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

Ahh! The poem keys into my excessive mood on the verge of going to Paris to live it up and stimulate all of my senses. I love Rexroth. Thanks for the review of these conceptual scents. I am still ruminating about them. Don't find I reach for them though I respect the venture. Take care and I'll be excited to read a million posts when I return from being away.

1:12 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
Have a great trip! How long are you going to be away? Will be missing your posts. :-)

1:15 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Well, I still think they mixed the names up, and 100% Love should have been named S-ex. I don't find this at all s-exy, but I really like it for what it is: a *light* (marine) leather, which sounds disgusting but isn't. Leather is usually in a much heavier fragrance. It's cool.

2:57 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I must say I don't find 100% Love sexy at all...and I don't mean in a bad way or anything...I love because it innocent to me, no sex there :-)

3:03 PM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

I will be away from tomorrow night until the 27th. take care!

5:09 PM EST  
Blogger risa said...

the whole 'salty' thing makes it wholly and totally obvious to me that this perfumer really likes ... um, various bodily fluids ... um, associated with the act. yeah. *cough* *ahem*

seriously, there's No. Good. Way. to say that sort of thing.

9:02 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Risa,
Bwah ha ha ha! Definitely!

9:48 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool poem.

8:59 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you send me a number of sexy perfume .that make man and wemon begin for sex...komail59@gmail.com

12:30 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home