Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, February 06, 2006

Perfume Review: Christian Dior Cologne Blanche

Cologne Blanche is a part of the collection of three colognes produced for Christian Dior by Hedi Slimane, the designer responsible for Dior’s men’s division. As Fashionline points out, Slimane’s creations are paradoxical, they make “youthfulness look mature, while infusing classic elegance with youth; highlighting the grace notes of masculinity, while bringing out a subtle theme that is quasi feminine.” The same description applies to the scents in the cologne collection, they are contemporary takes on the classical cologne tradition; intended for men, these are most certainly unisex scents, with Cologne Blanche perhaps leaning in a feminine direction.

Cologne Blanche, with notes of Provencal rosemary, Portuguese sweet orange, Calabrian bergamot, Tunisian orange blossom, and vanilla pods from the Bourbon Islands, is perhaps my favorite of the line. It does indeed evoke the color white, but this is not cold, aquatic white. The whiteness here is delicately peppery, slightly spicy, almost incense-like in parts. The list of notes that I was able to find on the web does not include angelica, but this is the accord that I actually smell most prominently on my skin. After the understatedly hesperidic start, with bergamot being much more prominent than orange, the fragrance acquires that incredible green, deep, and –when paired with vanilla- slightly “buttery” quality that I associate with angelica. In a way, Cologne Blanche reminds me of Angelique Encens; however, compared to the Creed’s creation, Cologne Blanche is much less intense and incensy, much more transparent and light. Whereas Angelique Encens is richly green, Cologne Blanche is definitely white, with subtle green and sweetly-herbal (rosemary) accents.

Cologne Blanche is an exquisite, elegant and masterfully understated fragrance; it is serene, relaxing and comforting. Despite its subtlety and the fact that it stays rather close to the skin, it is quite long lasting. Cologne Blanche is available at Saks, $155.00 for 8.4oz.

11 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

Angelica. We are on the same wavelength. I did a little research on it this weekend, too for writing on AG Vanille Exquise which has it too. I am curious about Eau Blanche. I didn't try it properly as I did Eau Noire. It sounds subtler and up my alley.

10:49 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
It is subtelr than Eau Noire. I find it is extremely easy to wear, comfortable like 2nd skin :-)

I should re-try Vanille Exquise, since you say it has angelica.

10:58 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Huh, I happen to have a sample of this sitting right here... ;-) Is a bit like Angelique Encens, isn't it? But much less intense. I get something fizzy from it -- petitgrain? Which I love. On me it is petitgrain and powder, with a little bit of rosemary. It is very pretty -- definitely on the feminine end of unisex, although I think it would be a sexy, skin fragrance on a man.

12:28 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Absolutely agree with everything you sayd, from frizziness to slight powderiness to prettiness. I am crazy in love with this scent :-)

12:38 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
You are very smart. The bottles are so big, he will never noticed that someone else (we won't say who), has been using his colognes :-)

2:27 PM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

I, too, gave this (and Eau Noire) to my husband, and he doesn't seem to notice at all when they are used by others:) I agree that this (unlike Eau Noire) leans to the feminine side of unisex; in fact, were I not aware of the designation, I would simply assume it was a woman's scent. Simane is clearly indulging in some gender-bending here:)

7:41 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
I agree that it is pretty much feminine rather than unisex.
What did you think of Bois d'Argent? It seems to be the least popular of the trio.

9:03 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

I expected (from the name and description) to like Bois d'Argent the best of the trio, but--it is practically unsmellable on my skin! I don't think this is a nose issue, because DH sniffed me and agreed--must be chemistry. Someone else described it as "subtle," but it is way beyond subtle on me. There are several other scents that don't show up well on my skin, though, and others seem to smell it, so I think this may be just my weird issue:)

9:26 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
There are scents that I cannot smell at all. But at all! Like Flower by kenzo in any of its forms. I don't know why.

9:41 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must experiment with adding angelica to some of my blends. A touch of galbanum goes in my personal "vetiver" cologne. However, pure angelica oil to me smells like.. well.. a very pungent dill pickle. I find nothing buttery about its scent at all. On the other hand, even pure vetiver oil has quite a dark, "rooty", earthy-woody fragrance; it's only in dilution that it becomes very pleasant.

6:36 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are talking here about Dior cosmetics, but does anyone interested in Dior sunglasses? I would like to hear your comments!

10:06 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home