Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Perfume Review: Boucheron Trouble

Note to self: keep an open mind, do not stick to niche scents only, and remember that your next Holy Grail or even just a very enjoyable perfume discovery might hide in the most unexpected places. Have I not been given a sample of Boucheron Trouble by a generous fellow perfume-aficionado, I might have never found this amazing comfort scent. Created by Jacques Cavallier, the author of Alexander McQueen Kingdom, Yves Saint Laurent Nu, Stella McCartney Stella, Lancôme Poeme, Givenchy Hot Couture, and a legion of other fragrances, Trouble has notes of lemon, foxglove a.k.a. digitalis, Sambac jasmine, amber, blue (?) cedar, and vanilla (according to PerfumeMart).

The list of notes does indeed spell trouble; I am not sure what foxglove smells like, but I imagined that, combined with jasmine and amber, the effect would be intoxicating, heavy and very sensual. In reality, Trouble is a robust but soft scent, its sensuality warm and enveloping. This is the first fragrance in months and months to elicit a You Smell Great comment from my husband (a rare occurence not as much because of his inattentiveness really, as because of me being a chronic underapplier and his uneducated olfactory instrument a.k.a. nose, unable to appreciate the subtler scents, heh), so perhaps there is an intoxicating element there. As far as I am concerned, Trouble is not so much sexy as comforting. The presence of lemon among the notes puzzles me, because, to my nose, there is nothing even remotely citrusy in Trouble. It starts with an accord which I can only describe as sweet and creamy jasmine tea; the jasmine note begins to fade in the middle stage, and by the time the drydown comes, the scent is mostly vanilla, amber and a vaguely woody note that I assume is the promised “blue” cedar.

Trouble is not very unique or complex, but it is nevertheless a supremely enjoyable, comfortable and comforting scent. I see (a bottle of) Trouble in my nearest future.

You can get yourself some Trouble (tee hee) at Perfume.com, $42.99 for 1,7oz of Eau de Parfum.

22 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I have you to thank for introducing me to Trouble. You got me into Trouble (this bad jokes must stop somehow :-))!

Have you tried Susanne Lang Black Orchid? I wore it for the first time last night, and to my nose it is a jasmine and vanilla blend, like lighter and more floral Trouble, really lovely!

9:12 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Okay, I'm going to put my foot in it: MAJOR scrubber for me. I got spritzed at the mall and this is one of those scrubbers that triggered all sorts of weird maneuvers to rid myself of (remove sweater, dab another scent right under my nose, use lots of soap from the ladies' lounge...) Trouble has actually become my Scrubber Reference Point. However, I'm glad to see a non-niche scent reviewed. Hmmm, R did Paris Hilton ... maybe I should do Baby Phat Goddess? Or not.

9:30 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, it will not surprise you to hear that I don't like Trouble, and in a million years would not think of it as a comfort scent. But interesting that the same perfumer made Eclix -- my idea of comfort!

9:41 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Well then I will have to put my foot in on Baby Phat Goddess review. There are limits. And this is where the snobbery line must be drawn. Otherwise whatever will be reviewed next: Ashanti Something Jewel? No no and no! :-D

9:45 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I guess it takes a robust scent like Trouble to comfort someone like me. Eclix just doesn't have enough comfort strength to beat my typical level of uncomfort LOL

9:48 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I think Barneys has it. I will try googling for you. But I am pretty sure one of the big stores carry the line. I also heard some rumour of the bottles becoming cheaper and buy one get another oen free. Let me go research.

9:50 AM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

That sounds yummmy! I am always searching out a jasmine tea type fragrance. Gotta get it.

12:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
It is yummy! Also, for jasmine/vanilla type scent, do try Susanne Lang Black Orchid. This is one is a little less tea-like to me though.

1:36 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

You're right: no reviews of Goddess. Besides, I'd have to say something nice or Kimora would send her crew to put the hurt on me. That woman terrifies me. PS The trouble with Trouble wasn't the smell -- it triggered some sort of weird sneezing fit, something that hasn't happened before (or since.) There must be something in it I'm allergic to.

1:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Yes, don't want to mess with KLS. LOL
I bet you it was foxglove that disagreed with you. Or "blue" cedar.

5:19 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
What is Stephen B. Wait, do I really want to know about anohtre discontinued scent? Yes I do!

5:19 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
The ad and the name do not match the juice, I agree. They are actually the reason why I haven't tried Trouble for the longest time, I thought it would be...well, something very different from the enjoyable thing that it is.

5:21 PM EST  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I liked Trouble. Not enough to buy but it is decent oriental.

Nice review, as always :-)

6:14 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

Aw, March - the fun of stuff like Goddess is the pure undiluted schadenfreude of it. Have you seen her "designs?" C'mon, you know it's going to fun!

7:22 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

(I resent the fact that blogger does not forward the comments to my email simultaneously anymore, what's up with that!! *throws a tantrum*)

Now, where was I...
Patty,
I am even more intrigued...irresistible young men...now we are talking :-D

7:43 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Thank you. I thought you might like it a little. Not that is identical to Oblique in any way, but they are the same type of robust, creamy comfort scents

7:45 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
You were fearless, you went ahead and reviewed it. And then you called it, and I quote, "best product for delusionally empowered"
:-D

7:47 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

OK, at the risk of hijacking the blog (blogjacking?): Katie, I read an interview with KLS where she was asserting her rights over her man and warning other women away, and she used the phrase "I'm gonna beat that b----'s a--" so many times it became a running joke/standard phrase here at the manor. She can (and will) do any trashy, trainwreck thing she wants. Where she freaks me is the way she drags her daughters into it -- they're just another part of her bling. Have you seen the Baby Phat girls clothes? Holla back: clothes for baby ho's! Who, WHO, would buy that stuff? The moms who can't quite afford Juicy Couture tracksuits for their 7-year-olds? Don't freakin' get me started...

9:55 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

fM,
Blogjack all you like, especially when I agree with what you say :P Like now.

10:24 AM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

Heh, I read that interview. Pretty funny stuff there I thought. She's just wacky. A while back I posted on my non-perfumey blog about when I had gone to look at her clothing line's site. When I clicked on the menu bar for the children's clothes, I was presented with a picture of a little girl and an advertisement for a diamond encrusted watch. Hee. That is just what every child needs. Because you know kids aren't prone to losing things every five seconds, and really, what little girl doesn't need a thousand-plus dollar time piece? Hee hee!

6:19 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

One word- YUCK!
:-D

10:07 AM EST  
Anonymous Jade said...

Not a sexy scent by a long shot, unless long, flowing, scarlet silk shawls on the terrasse of some chateau in Southern France qualify as sexy.

Though I'd say that it does smell expensive. Maybe we have just gotten too used to niche anti-perfumes such as Lutens and Kilian to still appreciate the unproblematic deliciousness of department store scents.

Below, my personal take on this scent:

http://jadepaloma.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/run-for-cover-trouble-by-boucheron/

6:37 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home