Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Perfume Review: Amouage Ciel


Ciel is “the spring fragrance” in the Amouage range of perfumes. You can find more background information on this luxurious line started in 1980s by His Highness Sayyid Hamad bin Hamoud al bu Said, the Sultan of Oman, as a means of revival of Oman’s perfume tradition, in my review of Amouage Gold. As far as I understand, Guy Robert is the nose behind all Amouage fragrances, including Ciel (correct me if I am mistaken). Oman has always been the source of the best (silver) frankincense and, to honor that fact, frankincense is present in most Amouage perfumes. Ciel is no exception, however once again, the precious accord is too faint, too overwhelmed by other notes, for me to get to know and to enjoy it.

Infinitely more wearable and fit for everyday life than majestic Gold, Ciel is still quite a rich and sensual floral bouquet with notes of gardenia, cyclamen, violet leaves, peach, waterlily, rose, jasmine, amber, musk, cedarwood, sandalwood, and the elusive frankincense. I rather enjoy the beginning of Ciel, it starts green (violet leaves) and creamy (gardenia), and has a vaguely tropical, happy, holiday feel to it. Peach is quite evident at the middle stage and pairs nicely with the sweet rose note, with jasmine being but a hint somewhere in the distance. My only complaint is the waterlily note, which appears just before the drydown and brings with it an unwelcome metallic and aquatic accord. It stays for a while, but when it finally disappears, the drydown of Ciel, though, to my nose, devoid of any hint of frankincense, is a rich and somehow spicy, savory almost, blend of amber, musk and cedar.

Even though very beautiful, Ciel is not really my type of scent and the price is rather prohibitive, but I cannot help but again admire the bottles. Inspired by ancient Omani culture, they are made of lead crystal and ornamented with sterling silver.

Ciel is available at Amouage.com, €175, and at Parfumsraffy, $75.00 – 215.00.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger lilybp said...

Yay--another interesting informative review that doesn't make me feel I have to buy something!! Now, if Marlen just doesn't chime in with the news that the men's version is to die for, all will be well. . .

On yesterday's news: I forgot to mention that the Armani SA said that the various scents were MEANT to be layered with eash other, as well as worn alone. If he is right, that might explain the relative simplicity of the compositions. I too enjoy PdL, though not nearly as much as BdI (but I am an incense freak, so. . .)

8:15 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Have also read Robin's comment last time? She said a discontinued Amouage scent, Ubar is to die for...Just sayin'. Can't let you leave here completely lemmingless!

As for Armani's...not only are they expensive, but one apparently needs to buy 2 or more to enjoy them to the fullest. That is highway robbery, that is! :-D

9:22 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Well, it doesn't sound like something I need, but I swear, this is maybe the first time I've ever wanted something just for the bottle. Is that thing gorgeous or what? Wish they'd just sell the bottles, I could pour my 4711 into it ;-) Let's see, if they'd sell me the empty bottle for $100, and I put a $15 eau de cologne in it, the cost per ounce average....

10:22 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Have a sample somewhere...will have to see if I can dig it up! Can't even remember if I tried it yet :-)

12:38 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
To me the only thing that is not quite perfect with Ciel is that aquatic qulity it acquiers for a while. If not for that, I would have enjoyed it enormously.

12:47 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
The bottles are amazing.
Ubar is only $65? That is simply peanuts compared with the rest of the line.

12:48 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I bet you someone will at some point be selling empty bottles You Know Where. If I see one for a fair price, I might be tempted. :-)

12:50 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
For some reason I think you might like this one. Maybe not fall in love madly enough to buy a bottle...but like it. :-)

12:50 PM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

This bottle with the azure blue juice maxes me swoon! What a poem of a bottle. I am prepared to like it.

1:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

lupOH yes! And the juice is very likeable too.

2:18 PM EST  
Blogger Victoria said...

I actually like the look of this bottle better. I'm more of a cool, silver girl. Now to find my sample! I did find my Gold sample, it's very nice and lasted reasonably long. But not something I would buy for myself. If I got it as a gift, I'd wear it! Too bad Hubby is in the "you have too much perfume already" mode.

2:35 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Vicotria,
I have the exat same kind of husband. Also, if ever he were to see price tag for the scents in this line he would have been shocked, scandalized and agog. :-D

4:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ah! I knew the price was too good to be true!

6:35 PM EST  
Blogger Nonna Gorilovskaya said...

I want the bottle!

2:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Me too!Even just an empty one. For dispay :-)

4:23 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home