Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, December 30, 2005

Best of 2005


‘Tis the season to evaluate, to draw conclusions, and to make various “Best of” lists. A group of bloggers conspired to do precisely that and to each come up with a list Best of 2005 products. Self-confessed perfume-addict that I am, my list will be dedicated to perfume and nothing but perfume. The following are the fragrances that I came to love, worship, and adore in 2005, also known as My 2005 Holy Grails (in alphabetical order):


1. Ambre Narguile by Hermes. The epitome of a comfort scent, this is a sweet, rich, smoky treat that smells of amber, apples, pipe tobacco, cinnamon, and all things wonderful.

2. Ambre Russe by Parfum d’Empire. The rich, robust, and surprisingly wearable smell of Tsarist Russia, with every stereotypically Russian note thrown in for good measure. Vodka, champagne, amber, leather, honey... you name it, it’s here, and I love it.

3. Attrape-Coeur by Guerlain. Heartbreakingly exquisite and very exclusive woody-floral-oriental blend. Airy, soft, and golden, this is a Heart-Catcher indeed.

4. Bois des Iles by Chanel. Perhaps the Holiest of my Holy Grail, Bois des Iles is the proof that wood can be feminine, warm and sensual. A veritable magical elixir, Bois des Iles is an olfactory equivalent of liquid gold.

5. Bois des Paradis by Parfums Delrae. One of the most beautiful scents ever created, this is a seamless, magical harmony, a luscious, sensual and irresistible fragrance of the Garden of Eden.

6. Collection by Escada. My comfort scent extraordinaire; whenever I am cold, tired and miserable, I put on some Collection and instantly I am soothed and warmed by its sweet, smoky, velvety aroma.

7. Féminité du Bois by Shiseido. Fruity, woody and spicy, this a scent in which cedar, my favorite note, shows its warm, extremely sensual side. A hearty scent, darkly sweet and robust, it is tied up with Bois des Iles for the title of The Holiest Holy Grail.

8. Fifi by Fifi Chachnil. A stunning fragrance, sexy and full of character, unconventional, playful and très féminin ; Fifi tops the list of my favorite "pinup scents".

9. Or des Indes by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. The soft spiciness of this warm, smooth scent is soothing and comforting. This is a rather underappreciated scent that I never want to be without.

10. Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. A fruity scent that is dry, woody and spicy. This is a fragrance that miraculously manages to be dark and transparent all at the same time.

The honorable mention also goes to the following fragrances I enjoyed in 2005: Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez; Bois et Fruits, Bois Oriental, Bois et Musc, and Daim Blond by Serge Lutens; Le Parfum de Therese and Noir Epices by Frederic Malle; Organza Indecence by Givenchy; Talco Delicato by i Profumi di Firenze; Trouble by Boucheron, Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder.

To read other Best of 2005 lists, please use the links below:



*The Best of 2005 graphic is by Katie (Scentzilla!). The painting is Holy Grail by Rossetti.

29 Comments:

Blogger Sand said...

Yes, yes, yes to Bois de Paradis, Collection and Pomegranate Noir!

I still need to try Fifi as it sounds like it's my type of fragrance.

6:48 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, V! Actually I was not impressed with Trouble the very first time I applied it, I thought, "nah, just vanilla and something". Then I applied it the next day and was smitten, though it still is just vanilla and something, but it is so rich, as you say, so comforting.

9:17 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

S, I didn't know we could do hearts here, I will try - ♥

I have a strong feeling you will like Fifi. I really do!

9:17 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I can't express how mutual that is! ♥
Happy New Year!!

9:38 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Beautiful list, and entirely 2nd Bois des Iles as the "Holiest"...it is so stunningly beautiful that it still puzzles me why no. 5 outsells it.

Wishing you a very happy & prosperous 2006, M!

10:22 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I love *love* Collection, but I have noticed recently that it is being ever so slowly pushed off it's pedestal of Best Comfort Scent by a new (to me) Trouble by Boucheron...hmmm

10:26 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, R!
With this obsession and with a brazillion new releases what seems like every week, I do need a very prosperous year!!!

I am puzzled by the same thing re: Bois des Iles vs Chanel No 5. perhaps the problem is that for some reason Chanel keeps Bois des Iles much more exclusive...

10:28 AM EST  
Blogger Tania said...

Oh, wonderful list. I see so many of my favorites. Bois des Iles, Feminité du Bois—now I feel I have to try the ones on your list I've never smelled.

Have a happy new year!

10:40 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tania,
I've noticed that most of the scents on my list more or less belong in the same olfactory family, so if you already like the two you named, it is completely safe to try the other ones. :-)
Happy New Year to you too!

10:47 AM EST  
Blogger Annieytown said...

Your #2 sounds fantastic. I have never heard of it. Is it available in the US?

I love Ambre Narguile. It is all things wonderful! I treasure my decant.

Have an incredible New Year M!

11:43 AM EST  
Blogger mireille said...

oh lovely, M. Happy New Year! xoxo

11:44 AM EST  
Blogger risa said...

very marvelous and gorgeously woody list! i can't wait to try Attrape-Coeur as well, though i'm worried that yet another Guerlain need will be spawned ;)

have a terrific New year, and may your grails never be discontinued!

11:51 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Annie,
It is not available in the US (yet). *bangs fist on the table* I am unable to find it anywhere. saw it recently on ebay for $150 plus $20. Yeah right!

Happy New year!!

1:10 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M, thank you very much and Very Happy New Year!
xoxo

1:12 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Risa,
Whatever you do, do NOT try Attrape-Coeur LOL Because if you do, you will be sucked in the huge huge lemming. Just thought T'd warn you :-)

Happy New Year!

1:13 PM EST  
Blogger Victoria said...

Great List! I love Bois Des Iles and Collection!

Fifi is also on my list to try.

May you have a beautiful, fragrant New Year!
Victoria O

1:21 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Victoria,
Thank you, and, just judging by what I read on your blog, I think you will love Fifi!

Happy New Year!!!

1:42 PM EST  
Blogger Bela said...

Nice list! I wish I could ask the one remaining cousin I have in Moscow to send me some perfume, but she's too old now. :-(

I'm with you on Bois des Iles, Féminité du Bois and other Lutens.

Happy New Year!

2:37 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Bela,
Do you mean Ambre Russe? That one is actually French :-)

Very Happy New Year to you!!!

2:46 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
Thank YOU for everything! And most special thanks for introding me to the shining star of my list, the incomparable and only Fifi.
Happy New Year!!!

5:14 PM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

Good Morning and Happy New Year to the dear person whose blog helped me take the leap to start my own! You are the sweetest. Your list includes things that I already love with a few that I must must try soon. In the second group, I have a sneaking feeling that both Bois des Iles and Bois de Paradis will excite me, based on your reviews.
Fifi, too.

2:03 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,

Very Happy New Year!!!
As for Bois des Iles, Bois de Paradis and Fifi, I have no doubt that you would like them.

2:14 PM EST  
Blogger Trina said...

SO many of these are great loves of mine! You're torturing me with that Ambre Russe, and for some reason I haven't tried Or des Indes - both of them are officially on my "must try" list!

Hope the coming year treats you well!

2:48 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Trina
Happy New Year!!
Or des Indes is so little spoken about, and yet it is a great great scent!

4:58 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

I've yet to try the Ambre Russe - I keep waiting for a nice quiet moment to put it on, but thus far this month, a quiet moment has not really happened to me yet, heh. I can't wait.

And I will scour my TJ Maxx and Marshall's to find the Escada Collection - god knows there has to be something from that line to really love for me.

6:36 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
Let me know what you think when you get to try it!
As for Escada Collection at TJMaxx, I am convinced it is an urban legend. :-D

9:48 PM EST  
Blogger Kristen said...

Yay for Daim Blond in your honorable mentions! And I think yours might have been the only list to mention YDAN. I liked it too!

Happy New Year!

12:45 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Happy New Year!
I love YDAN, took me a while , but now I really do!

9:43 AM EST  
Anonymous Semi Permanent Make Up said...

I liked the way you have presented various things togther in a beautiful manner.

5:09 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home