Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, October 17, 2005

Amber Vanilla by Regina Harris

Amber Vanilla has the richness of a Pre-Raphaelite painting, reminiscent of a jewel-encrusted medieval fabric, dark golden heavy velvet. According to various sites, the notes here are just those in the name, amber and vanilla, but I don’t believe that for a second, this is a complex albeit very smooth blend. Amber opens the composition and it is dark, warm and intense; there is a depth to it that is very incense-like to my nose and I suspect there is an incense note in Amber Vanilla. The fragrance becomes darker and more resinous as it settles on my skin, and even when the vanilla drydown comes, bringing some sweet softness to the blend, the perfume does not lose the vague churchy feel that, to me, is the essence of its uniqueness.

Like the first Regina Harris perfume oil, Amber Vanilla has a certain religious atmosphere yet it is an incredibly sensual fragrance. This scent reminded me of the story of St. Theresa of Avila, Roman Catholic mystic, who entered states of ecstasy while studying religious texts in a Carmelite cloister, and of Bernini’s sculpture, The Ecstasy of St Theresa. “I saw in his [angel’s] hand a long golden arrow, its metal point tipped with fire. With this he appeared to pierce my heart again and again, reaching into my insides and ripping them from me, leaving me embracing in the great love of God." Just like in the story of St Theresa and in Bernini’s magnificent work, in Amber Vanilla divinity interacts with matter and spiritual merges with corporal.

Amber Vanilla Perfume Oil can be found at Beautyhabit, $125.00 for 15ml

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

V, I thought it was rather unsual, "churchy" amber-vanilla fragrance. I now need both Regina Harris scents, which are $125 each...heh

8:48 AM EDT  
Blogger Anna, Fair and True said...

What are you going to do when you run out of perfumes to review? ;)

10:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

*panics*
Surely that would never happen! :-)

10:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, Christina! You are so kind.
*green with envy because I don't own Amber Vanilla (yet)*
:-)

10:30 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Happily (given the price) I am so far immune to Regina Harris. M, we are turning out to be *almost* evil fragrance twins :-)

12:11 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

LOL R, I wonder if there are any scents at all that we agree on. Oh, wait, Chinatown was one! Still, I like the idea of being someone's evil twin. Bwahahahaha

12:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Dang, now I'm going to have to try this on. I didn't like the original, too much incense. Maybe I won't like this one. But I love amber.....must try!
:-)

3:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

If you love amber, you really should try this. It doesn't have nearly as much incense as the orginal one, there is just a hint, which maybe I am just imagining. Rich sweet amber...*swwon*

3:38 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

Shoot. *I* want an evil twin.

I am curious about both RHs, but the price holds me back. It sounds like perhaps I do need to try it, though. Churchy amber and vanilla??? Sounds good to me. And, in truth, I do love those bottles. They remind me of the fatice spires on top of some churches, most notably like ones such as this.

7:23 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I can pretend to be your evil twin till you find one :-)
Beautihabit sells sample packs of their scents, they do have both Regina Harris scents. And the 25% off sale is still on till tomorrow...hehehe...am I an enabler or what?

7:30 PM EDT  
Blogger Tania said...

I don't need another amber-vanilla in my life, not even one in a stunning bottle, but I wanted to say, St. Theresa of Avila's writings make me so uncomfortable! It's not the spirituality...it's the feeling that you're reading a teenage girl's mash notes...

1:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

LOL!

1:11 PM EDT  
Blogger mireille said...

The Bernini comparison is inspired! ♥ xoxo

9:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regina Harris Amber Vanilla perfume oil rocks big time! This heady stuff is animalic and h-o-t.
Not for the faint of heart. Have always believed if the wearer has the right chemistry, and the
be-smeller has an appreciation for that chemistry (with the Amber Vanilla), this stuff has the power to seal the first date with absolute passion! Use at your own risk- and enjoy!

12:08 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow this sounds divine! How is it in comparison to Casmir? Perfumes can easily make me sick. So, I peak interest in perfumes that seem similar to Casmir and have a sensual vanilla smell.

10:21 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home